Muzzleloading 16 gauge fowlers?

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1
I am presetly considering purchasing a modern manufacture SxS shotgun in 16 gauge, preferably with fixed chokes and a considerably lighter gun for a comfortable all day carry afield. And I don't mind thinking a little bit outside the box, so to speak.

Was wondering if anyone out there has the same type of hunting shotgun & would like to share thier experiences here? ;)
 
^Yeah, for some unknown reason gunsaholic the 16 gauge muzzleloader of modern manufacture seems to be a rare beast?
Just coming to that realization today. Lots of antiques in this configuration. But I want one of modern manufacture.
Lots in 12 or 20, and even 10s seem to be more numerous than the 16s? This could be a harder hunt then I thought.

cheers....
 
Last edited:
^Yeah, for some unknown reason gunsaholic the 16 gauge muzzleloader of modern manufacture seems to be a rare beast?
Just coming to that realization today. Lots of antiques in this configuration. But I want one of modern manufacture.
Lots in 12 or 20, and even 10s seem to be more numerous than the 16s? This could be a harder hunt then I thought.

cheers....
It might even be hard to find a custom built 16.
 
Believe it or not you would find it easier to find a custom replica flintdouble in 16 than a percussion double.Also be prepared to pay about 3 grand up for a custom job and a long wait time.
 
Too bad, but I really like the idea of the old 16-gauge. Part of the problem is the size of everything: just a bit smaller than a 12, but still bigger than a 20.

Since the 12-bore cartridge gun has become almost universal, it has kicked the heck out of ANYthing 16, despite the fact that even a 16 cartridge gun is a lightweight and relatively easy to pack around.

I have a little Settlement period (late 1880s in this part of the world) 16 double cartridge gun here. Obviously it is a lady's gun, but the lady in question certainly had taste. Banknote-quality engraving, nice wood with a single flaw, excellent finish, cheekpiece, tight action, Black-powder proofs, thing throws up to your shoulder perfectly, light enough to track chicken. I paid 35 bucks for it, couple of years ago. Nice point is that it is still legal for chicken and pheasant, although not for waterfowl.

There are lots of these old guns out there and most of them are dirt cheap. I mean, after all, WHO would possibly want a 16???? Well, apart from you and me, that is. Just gotta recognize one when you see it.... and be prepared to deal.

BP cartridge guns can be a lot of fun to shoot, too.

Just sayin'.......
 
^I hear you smellie. Thing is I am wishing for a kind of rounded out shotgun selection. I have a plefora of 12s and a pair of nice 20s that get hunted alot.
In SxS 10 gauge in a BP cartridge shotgun is on it's way to me, and another '10 gauge' in a reproduction blunderbuss.
A 16 bore SxS would fit in really nicely in this crowd. And I already have the circle fly wads for it.
 
Last edited:
Don t give up on the muzzleloader this Pedersoli Baker double in 12 ga is a hoot to hunt with.It has nice back action locks and the single trigger makes it easy to use with gloves

egps.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom