44 Russian

GMoon

Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hi fellow CGNers, just wondering what the general consensus is, regarding the antique 44 Russian round. "My friend" has an antique S&W Double Action revolver chambered for the 44 Russian cartridge. Presently "he" loads with 3f black powder and lead projectiles. Is this the "best" or is there a safe smokeless alternative load that can be used that won't harm the antique firearm? Thanks for your reply (don't forget to write your MP).
 
I'm going to be trying Trail Boss, a smokeless BP replacement

There is a sticky about smokeless loads in antiques. I would read it thoroughly before using Trail Boss. I quit using it after reading the posts.
TB seems to have a pretty high pressure spike at the start of ignition. MIGHT be too much for some antiques.
It is a long thread, but well worth reading...enjoy!

Later....
 
There is a sticky about smokeless loads in antiques. I would read it thoroughly before using Trail Boss. I quit using it after reading the posts.
TB seems to have a pretty high pressure spike at the start of ignition. MIGHT be too much for some antiques.
It is a long thread, but well worth reading...enjoy!

Later....

Trailboss will spike if it's compressed, otherwise not so much. So does Unique. Don't compress them in antiques.
 
Back
Top Bottom