SHOT SHOW 2014: Tangent Theta Professional Marksman Series Rifle Scope

greentips

Administrator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
261   0   0
Other than its meaning in trigonometry, Tangent Theta represents the second firearms optic manufacturer in Canada, other than Raytheon/Elcan. The story is that Premier Reticle down in the US got into some financial trouble and had to close it doors. With the help of a Canadian ownership, the key personnel and the technology of Premier Reticle were transplanted to Nova Scotia. With a new facility in Nova Scotia, Tangent Theta begins to manufacture optics based on Premier Reticle's design with new improvements.

The first two models released by Tangent Theta are the Professional Marksman Series 3X-15X in 30mm tube and 5X-25X in 34mm tube. Both scopes are illuminated. The 5X-25X model also comes with tool-less re-zero turrets, where the marking turret can be loosened and tightened up by fingers to index to new zeroing position. Also, the elevation turrets of both models are double turn. The number of revolution made by the elevation turret is indicated by a tactile indicator in 5X-25X and a visual indicator in the 3X-15X.

The detailed spec could be easily found on their websites. Reticles in both Mrad and MoA are offered. The MSRP of the 3X-15X model is 3,697 USD, and the MSRP of the 5X-25X model is 4,250 USD.

11988636066_0d90d072c4_o.jpg

11988204174_819d8cd1ea_o.jpg

11988113493_25dcd49831_o.jpg

Updates:

First Rotation

Second rotation indicator

Illumination dial has in-between OFF locations.

To set the zero stop:

Loosen the cap on the turret about 3 turns

Turn the turret. There won't be any clicks when the lock is disengaged.

Hold the turret and tighten the cap back down at the new location. Done!

On the light version:

First rotation on the elevation

Second rotation on the elevation

illumination control with in-between OFF settings

Right on the windage turret

Left on the windage turret

ARD for the light version also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I wonder how they compair to the S&B and Nightforces in the same range. Iv never heard of them before, but it seems like a lot of money to spend on a product from a company that ran in to financial problems and closed up shop. I wish them the best though as a Canadian company (now).

Pretty cool to see a company like this working out of NS and I'd love to support their business but one of their scopes would break the bank for me!

Andy Webber is well known in the optics industry. He was/or still is the Leitz Elcan distributor for North America as we ll as the now defunct Premier Reticles. If there's anyone who can design, have built, and market their own line of optics in Canada - it's Andy Webber.

This isn't "King Optics" we're talking about.

Having said that, the market for their current product is limited. Hopefully, once they get going they can produce scopes that will appeal to a larger audience.

Scope looks good and premier was well known. But at over 2K not a chance. Makes S&B look affordable and Night Force as the bargain. March, S&B etc are all known, have high resale value and it's expected they will be around for a while. I have to wonder about their business model. The scopes look nice but the price is extremely high. Sure they aren't based out of BC? It would explain the pricing.

With the track record of the company (Premier Reticles) , along with the prices, I don't think that they have the proverbial 'snow ball's chance'...
Kind of vindicates my choice of optics when I was torn between the Premier, and good old S & B.
Knowing that your scope's manufacturer is going to be around longer than next week is certainly comforting when coughing up than kind of coin.

Scopes worth more than the rifle I would put it on!

Yeah, Premier Reticles was a bit of the HK of the optics world. A few years back they caught a guy over on Sniper's Hide or somesuch giving discounts to people. When they heard about it they took away his dealership because selling the scopes for cheap "tarnished their reputation" or something.

That said, cost and snobbery was the only complaints I had heard about them, supposidly they made some of the finest scopes around, built as solid as anyone could ask.

I don't think they'll survive on the civilian market, in Nova Scotia no less, with those prices. Who knows though, maybe they'll get a military contract. With their cheapest MSRP of 3,697 even assuming they retail for $3,499 they are alienating tens of thousands, if not millions even in Canada.

Yeah, Premier Reticles was a bit of the HK of the optics world. A few years back they caught a guy over on Sniper's Hide or somesuch giving discounts to people. When they heard about it they took away his dealership because selling the scopes for cheap "tarnished their reputation" or something.

That said, cost and snobbery was the only complaints I had heard about them, supposidly they made some of the finest scopes around, built as solid as anyone could ask.

I don't think they'll survive on the civilian market, in Nova Scotia no less, with those prices. Who knows though, maybe they'll get a military contract. With their cheapest MSRP of 3,697 even assuming they retail for $3,499 they are alienating tens of thousands, if not millions even in Canada.

Your close, it was a "sting" of sorts with another dealer and Liberty Optics offering a price lower that MAP. PR scopes are in use with the Marines. I have 2, and I'm not worried about either one "failing" on me. Buy once, cry once LOL

Your close, it was a "sting" of sorts with another dealer and Liberty Optics offering a price lower that MAP. PR scopes are in use with the Marines. I have 2, and I'm not worried about either one "failing" on me. Buy once, cry once LOL

Do you know why PR went under? I don't think it was a voluntary thing, or they'd have been making announcements I would imagine.

Still, I wonder if P&D might be able to score a demo model or two. I'd enjoy checking one out to see if it makes my eyes happier than my wallet.

Do you know why PR went under? I don't think it was a voluntary thing, or they'd have been making announcements I would imagine.

Still, I wonder if P&D might be able to score a demo model or two. I'd enjoy checking one out to see if it makes my eyes happier than my wallet.

I don't know the exact reason however I think they just got "bought out" like most businesses, you "grow" the business and then sell it?. From what's been posted on the "HIde" ATI is standing behind the line and there should be no issues for repair/parts etc.

We checked those out and they looked amazing...pricey but the quality is there and with Andy involved it will have the necessary support for the long term...

Last year I purchased a 2009 model of the PR Heritage 5-25x56; this purchase was a long time coming as I had my heart set on owning one of the best optics money can buy. These scopes are in use by military (including Canadians) afterall. PR was always a small time manufacturer, it's a shame to hear they are no longer in bussiness.

Anyway, it's funny this came up because just yesterday I was packing up my scope in the original box in preparation for a move (to Halifax) when I found the original instruction booklet with the brand name "Armament Technology" based on Robie St in Halifax! So I guess that little shop is now in full production of these models. Maybe I can offer a trade for my 2009 Heritage!

I think some of you need to have a look at scope prices for some other offerings..

S&B 3-20 $4000+
S&B 3-27 $6000 - $7000
Hensoldt 3.5-26 $7000

..what's the price of a new Leupold Mark8 in Canada?

$4000 scopes, unfortunately, are not out of the ordinary.

Never thought the NF Beast would be a bargain, with the 2nd Gen Vortex Razor looking like a 'steal'

LOL I'm willing to bet that the Canadian MSRP will still be higher than the US MSRP even though they are made here now.

LOL I'm willing to bet that the Canadian MSRP will still be higher than the US MSRP even though they are made here now.

They aren't made "here". The scopes are made to spec by an out sourced company to their specifications and then re-marketed through the Tangent Theta name brand.

Back
Top Bottom