Help stock, build the OSTS truck.

Farmboy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
So the Suzuki XL7 has been retired and GMC 1500 Sierra is now taking over :D

So what do I need to add besides a wrap and dillion? ;)

I'm thinking bumpers front and rear and cargo draws in the back as well as possibly a "chase truck" style rack with light bars or might put the cap on. Need gas storage somewhere and thinking of mounting to the sides of the rack behind the cab.

7751_10152233624005086_1937239663_n.jpg

The new OSTS truck has under seat storage. Lots of gear fit, now to organize into bags/pouches.

What do you carry with you and what should I make sure I have with me?

Concerns I have are going off the road in remote areas, having to leave my area due to train derailment or other and unforeseen issues when travelling or having to leave my area with short notice. Also long days at outdoor trade shows/ranges/matches.

Some things I do have:

Lights
Fire Starters/stoves
Water and purifiers
Survival blankets and a siltarp
Blades and tomahawk
Dried food, bars, granola, tea, coffee and drink mixes
Survival kit
Duct tape
Siphon
Med kits

There are other smaller items as well.

Truck stuff includes:

Tow strap
Air compressor/tire repair
Fluids
Some tools

What else should go in the truck?

1972430_725063357544012_1001735634_n.jpg

1-8-13-5.jpeg

Not the most safe storage location if you're going offroading, but it has all kinds of cool factor.

Fire extinguisher. When you need them, you really need them. There are plenty of small sizes as well, just make sure to pick the most appropriate kind as they come in several flavors, each with it's own problems.

Hell, it's a truck, I'm sure you could find somewhere to put a 1000' spool of paracord.

If you are off-roading, pioneer tools are a nice to have. Shovel, axe, farm jack, come along (if you don't add a winch)... etc

All of the above should attach nicely to the rack you are installing. ;)

A Hi-Lift jack has a million uses. You can buy or make a mount to bolt it to your rack. Just grab one of those rubber handle retainers or it will rattle enough to threaten your sanity in that location.

For those that haven't heard of these, you can use it as a jack, a spreader, a come-along and a few other things. Worth their considerable weight in gold when you need it.

Manufacturer's website here.

Oh, just remembered solar panels. I figure it could be extremely handy to have a solar panel trickle-charging a battery pack or two, so that you could top up your devices without needing to drain your truck battery or have the vehicle running.
Also, if you could buy one of those Earl tablets and demo it for me that would be super ;)

A winch might be a great advantage on an off road machine. If you are putting bumpers on the front consider a full grill gaurd that the whinch could mount into. Then a skid plate of sorts. Keep the engine and rad protected. You might want to get a good quality set of tire plugs. One thing I'm considering for my own jeep is a receiver hitch mounted Vice. Just in case you have to make repairs somewhere along the way.

A Stryker light like you see on the utility company vehicles. Wired joystick in the cab and/or remote that comes with a lifetime battery. I'd substitute a fireman axe for the tomahawk as it would be more useful in a survival situation. And a cell phone booster.

If you are off-roading, pioneer tools are a nice to have. Shovel, axe, farm jack, come along (if you don't add a winch)... etc

All of the above should attach nicely to the rack you are installing. ;)

^+1 Top list items for offroad ( and other uses) Maybee add a second battery and a 24v system. Electrical Tape,Cable-ties and gearclamps come in handy for quick fixes.

Fire extinguisher. When you need them, you really need them.

Ahh, I do need that.

Shovel, axe, farm jack, come along

Will have a shovel in there shortly along with a new jack. I have the hawk which I find easier to store than an ax

Traction aids

Do have some in the basement, just trying to find a spot on the truck. Will probably go in the bed.

A Hi-Lift jack has a million uses.

I had one on the farm and liked it a lot, however it can be tempermental as well.

Oh, just remembered solar panels.

I have a med. sized flexible one right now that will charge all my electronics. Debating a larger one though to mount on the rack/cap.

A winch might be a great advantage on an off road machine.

Winch is planned for the bumper

I'd substitute a fireman axe for the tomahawk as it would be more useful in a survival situation

The tomahawk I have is lighter and smaller but will also work for "entry" when needed.

And a cell phone booster.

Hadn't thought of that.

If you're building bumpers anyway, make them from pipe big enough to use as storage.

A hi-lift can slide into a front bumper tube for storage.

I was going to build a pipe style bumper that had air fittings on it. You could pump air into it like a portable air tank, and a fitting would allow you to attach an air hose to fill tires quickly. Limited though.

I had figured out an engine mounted compressor system for my old Dodge diesel with two retired fire extinguishers as air tanks (good to 2500 psi I think they were). A coupler and airline long enough to use air tools for various things. This is a bit bulky for a SHTF type vehicle though and only works if your engine can run.

You'll probably want a battery charger with a booster option as well, a decent first aid kit, a kel tec sub 2000 folded up under that back seat with a few drum mags for it...

And if you're wanting to have extra fuel, buy one of those tool boxes/slip tank sets and you're killing two birds with one stone.

Darren if you are considering a winch, consider a reciever mount, something that can be a rear or front winch. The easiest way out of a suck hole is back the way you came. That mud hole in front may lead to a swamp and pulling yourself forward may get you into more trouble than you want. That 5km walk through a slew back to a guy with a tractor to haul you out can be a ##### in -15. Don't ask how I know that!

For traction stuff, a few sandbags double as weight in the winter and traction aid in the snow and ice. Bumper jacks are great but remember they are called widow makers for a reason!

oh one thing I didn't see that I never leave home without is one of those candle lanterns. I was shocked at how much heat a single candle lantern gave off in a crewcab truck.

Last edited:
You should put "F#ck'n Eh" on the wrap :)

Also, a cheap thing I like that I got from princess auto a while ago was a flood light on a magnetic base (plugs into lighter outlet). Great for working on stuff/fixing stuff in the dark or as general purpose lighting for camping.

Back
Top Bottom