The Modern Hunter Rifle UPDATED December 10 2015

alberta tactical rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Business Member
Rating - 100%
114   0   1
Jan 2015 update.
I have gone through this entire thread cleaning it up and trying to condense it so not as much reading is required. Also on this initial post I have added photos and video of the final product. Firm pricing has been established as has delivery times, for full info please check our website www.albertatacticalrifle.com or contact us directly via email at info@albertatacticalerifle.com
PM's we will not be responding to.

The Initial run of these will be offered with either A2 fixed, CTR collapsible or PRS stocks.
Barrel options for stainless steel barrels will be 18.6",20",22" or 24" in 3 contours. Barrels can be threaded, we just need to know when the order is placed.
We also will be offering Proof Research Carbon Fiber Wrapped barrels in 260,308 and 6.5 Creedmoor in 18.6" and 20" lengths only, these come threaded.
A 4 lb match single stage trigger is the only option.
Fore ends will be JP, DPMS, Fortis or PRI for now. We are sourcing others to ensure that they will fit as well as plan to start to manufacture our own flat top key mod fore end. More info to follow once we receive these.

308 will be the first caliber offered simply as we have 30 cal barrels in stock, but 243, 260, 7mm08 and 338 Federal are not a problem. Only these calibers are offered simply because of the mag and limitations of the bolt face.

Key features .
NON RESTRICTED FRT#149826 (This is the FINAL production FRT)
Integrated Ambi bolt release
Non reciprocating fold flat charge handle, sealed to prevent gas escape for the shooter.
Ambi safety (optional)
Ambi mag release (optional)
7075 billet upper and lower
Hinged dust cover over ejection port
Left handed friendly shell deflector
Direct gas impingement operating system ( tried and proven to work)
Any AR style grip will fit
Employs P mags
True match grade barrels as standard , various lengths, contours and calibers available base on 308 parent cartridge.

Due to the complaints of a few members who feel we are misleading the public and to comply with CGN rules of disclosure, we post the following information.

Please read paragraph 3 as it clearly states the Modern Hunter IS classified as a NON RESTRICTED firearm provided we maintain a "faithful" copy of the prototype, which we have.

We offered a limited production run that will have custom serial numbers at no additional cost for the first 75 guns, these have sold out.

A 1500.00 deposit and submitting a build sheet from our website will get you into the 1st production run.
Anticipated delivery of this run will start in Feb 2015
PLEASE NOTE The first and second production run is now sold out. The third production run is slated for December 2015 delivery

Sept 15 2014 update

October 30 2014 update
Photos of the finished rifle.

And many thanks to ShaunM who started work here recently for shooting and producing this short video for us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-VbLCCNfQ0

Last edited:
That is interesting!

Non-restricted? Is this a ar-10 modified to be non-restricted? Can you explain?

What price range?

It is a newly designed proprietary rifle. If it was an AR10 it would have been classified as an AR10 variant hence restricted.

We are hoping to see base model in the $3000.00 range, but until we actually have an idea of how many we are making and what actual time and costs are it is hard to say "at this moment" exactly what base price will be. The economies of scale apply to everything. The more that are made the more units the R&D costs are spread over.

if I might offer a suggestion? the ability to safely close gas ports/disable gas system to effectively turn rifle into a straight pull. I like to save my brass, and I love the ergo's of such a platform as this, but semi auto isn't really my first choice for hunting as I reload. Of course I understand that is not the case for many others, but just thought I'd throw that out there as something to consider.

ATRS, I would still wish the option to switch to semi auto though. Ie; Swiss PE90, I could turn the gas port half way and it would close the port, essentially giving me straight pull action and no damaged case mouths :) HOWEVER, it was not really designed to be shutoff. A gas port designed with a shutoff would be awesome.

$3000 projected price is amazing for this level of quality. Consider the other non-restricted semi auto rifles in .308 that are available in Canada, the only other rifle's that can be considered "match" quality are the Springfield m1a's. $3000 for a choice of calibre, barrel contour, barrel length, ambi controls (I am a lefty and not enough can be said about finally being looked after) and all the other options that come with dealing with ATRS, simply amazing. Kicks the pants off a certain $3000 Chilean import with 2moa accuracy, stamped receiver and ZERO options for upgrades. Thank you ATRS!

The economies of scale apply to everything. The more that are made the more units the R&D costs are spread over.

Good thing you are partnered with Tactical Capital Corp.:rockOn:

Maybe set-up a special 'Modern Hunter' deal with them. eg. preferred finance rate or term.

If it gets more orders for you, it will get better prices for us.

He's said in the past that those would be completely different because they aren't based on the 308 cartridge and weren't being considered at this time.

I read that, and understood. I wasn't suggesting a different calibre. I was asking if, in the future, there would be the potential for a scale down version of the entire platform. Think of this as AR10 sized, and scaled down to AR15 size. Hence the 223 and 300 calibres.

I read that, and understood. I wasn't suggesting a different calibre. I was asking if, in the future, there would be the potential for a scale down version of the entire platform. Think of this as AR10 sized, and scaled down to AR15 size. Hence the 223 and 300 calibres.

In the other thread I think there was a mentioned possibility, but that it would be far off and mostly dependent on the commercial success of this rifle.

Yes, both those lengths 18.6 and 20 inches were mentioned....I was inquiring about longer barrels like 22 or 24 inches.

While I can't speak for ATRS, my gut tells me once they get this rifle sorted out there will be a number of customization options. Certainly wouldn't be difficult for them to profile a longer barrel.

Incorrect. AR 15 variants are restricted, AR 10 variants are not. Check the legislation, a semi auto version of an original AR 10 would be unrestricted...

If anyone knows what they are talking about, it is Rick at ATRS. Yes, the original AR10 has models that predate the AR15, and as such aren't variants of the AR15. However, the current design of the AR10 is an upscaled version of the AR15 in design, hence why they are restricted.

Let's keep the ar10 debate seperate. Stay focused on this apple rather than tossing in the oranges.

Looking at the CAD file you posted. Is it held together with one pin? I couldn't see a take down pin at the rear. Also, is the charging handle going to be a folder type like the American Spirit Arms or is it always going to stick out? Not being picky or anything. Just being a curious future owner.

Looking at the CAD file you posted. Is it held together with one pin? I couldn't see a take down pin at the rear. Also, is the charging handle going to be a folder type like the American Spirit Arms or is it always going to stick out? Not being picky or anything. Just being a curious future owner.

Per Rick's original post:

"Non reciprocating fold flat charge handle"

Thinking this over a bit on the weekend, we should be able to offer a gas block that has the capability of being either gas on or gas off.
Something we did not think about previously, so thanks for bringing it up.
More stuff to design and make:D

I would like to know as well. As well as a possible folding stock option..,,

We are looking at making our own and also checking to see if there are any manufacturers of key mod hand guards that will fit AR10ish guns.
I still have a ton of looking around at what others make and then to see if we can supply their goods so we can offer them.
Will keep everyone posted on what all will or will not fit this beast.

I am only on page 3 of 5 as i write this, so someone might have brought this up...

The other, long thread on this mentioned bringing in a 300 WM version. Since the initial offering is in the 308 family...243, 260, 7-08, 308, and 338 federal; how about, a different version based on a different family of case.

30-06 case: 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, or the 35 Whelan

338 Win case: 264 WM,7 Rem mag, 308 Norma, 338 WM, 358 Norma.

The family of 30-06 makes more sense, but is also rather close to performance of the 308 family. The 338 WM family would be cool, impractical probably with the Norma's included. Given the potential problems getting a semi to run well with the belt of the 338 WM family, the 30-06 family is probably the most likely. Would be cool to do a 300 WM and maybe a 7mm Practical (7mm/300 WM) as a "family".

I believe they stuck with the 308 family to keep costs down..same receiver size, mag well, mags, springs...etc. Same thing would or could apply to another family, but probably not at the economy of scale...

Just dreaming...i would personally be in, but on a rifle based on more horsepower than the 308 case family. Longer barrel of say 24".

Once we have the 308 family into full production we are looking at both scaling up and down the rifle, so that the 223 family of cartridges could be served and the magnum family for those who want 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag have an option. The dreaded belt I don't see a real issue with, there are semi autos in belted magnums that work just fine already.

30-06 is a fine old cartridge but demand is virtually non existent and there is the mag problem. Short of a BAR/BLR or Rem semi auto mag what exists for 30-06? You have to understand to design and get a rifle like this into production is not a cheap venture and demand for a product is the only thing fueling development.

Besides we would have to change the name from "Modern" Hunter to something like "Antique" or "Old School" Hunter and it just doesn't have the same ring to it:p

Rick, will the barrels be able to be changed by the end user with something like a AR wrench?

Yes , a standard AR10 barrel wrench will do the deed assuming that the maker of the handguard uses a conventional AR10 barrel nut. Some hand guards like Daniel Defense and Samson use a proprietary barrel nut so their wrench would be required.
Where I see a potential problem for the DIY guys is that the upper is substantially different so we will have to make action bars to fit as the clam shell style junk just won't work.

Guys. We have been flooded with emails asking questions. Many are about price.
To try and allow me to get some work done on this gun please understand that as it stands we are seeing the base model rifle coming in at about $3000.00, this is plus or minus a hundred bucks we figure.

Please give me a few days to get the various options sorted out and to get confirmed pricing.
I will post it as soon as I can.
From inception we had figured that the base model would have a target of in the $3000.00 mark with upgraded models going up from there. A simple change from the match grade stainless steel barrel to a Carbon Fiber Wrapped barrel puts the price up by about $1000.00. Furniture just like on an AR15 varies a ton in price, so folks have to understand that there will be a difference in price between an A2 style butt stock equipped model versus a PRS stocked model.

A little more patience is greatly appreciated, believe me we ARE working on this for you.
As soon as I have more intel to share you will have it.

Is there any time table?

We are projecting about 6 months until the guns will be ready for pick up or shipping.

Also someone else asked on colors. The upper and lower will be anodized black, the barrels being stainless with be matte silver as standard but can be CeraKoted for a small additional charge.

Also on barrel length 18.6" will be the absolute minimum, 20, 22 and 24 are all optional at no additional cost, contours will be "light" similar to the light sporter of the DPMS LR308, "Varmint" which is similar ot the H-Bar or "Bull" barrel.

There are several more questions, but I need time to go through this thread to cover them.

Back
Top Bottom