Cz958 Review, Accuracy, and Status

How could it be? It isn't classified as restricted or prohibited.

Last time I checked my license it said possession and acquisition of a restricted and or non restricted firearm. Not possession and acquisition of an unclassified firearm. Additionally the only reason this firearm is in the country is because Wolverine brought it into the country for the lab to examine with their specific business license. Is TV PressPass an employee of Wolverine so that he is covered by their firearms business license?

Your poking the bear here and that same bear your poking is the one that the judge will be listening to as an expert on firearms if you were to ever see a court room.

This is why some are suggesting caution. However if you think I and anyone else is wrong I have a direct number and email to the lab you can call and see what they think as I brought this up with them once before with something I was planning.

Oh and nice rifle. I wouldn't mind seeing if I could adapt the brand new AK wood sets I have sitting here to it.

Too bad the barrel isn't chrome lined. :p

It seems you two are approaching this from different directions.
Tiriaq says if it is not banned by regulation, it must be allowed.
MC2 says that if it is not approved by regulation, it is not allowed yet.

I DONT have the final answer, but I'm leaning towards Tiriaq's understanding of it.

I'd like to emphasize this part of it again:

"Firearms are classified under the Criminal Code and its supporting regulations. As such the RCMP does not have the authority to classify firearms. However, in order to fulfill its statutory role of registering firearms, the RCMP must form an opinion as to the classification of a firearm if the classification is not explicitly set out in the Criminal Code and its supporting regulations. This expert technical opinion is captured in the FRT."

-RCMP Briefing Note to Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney

The firearm I was given met all the requirements laid out in the criminal code to be non-restricted.

I am the only one that would have preferred they remake the 858 with this receiver and no other mod ?

Also, are the big ''made by'' and ''designed by'' logos were put the for the sample gun only ?
Seems a little excessive to me if its to be put on production rifle.

All that being said it is highly probable that i will buy one.

My thoughts exactly. Actually I'd love a CZ 858 4V (restricted length) right now.

I'd like to emphasize this part of it again:

"Firearms are classified under the Criminal Code and its supporting regulations. As such the RCMP does not have the authority to classify firearms. However, in order to fulfill its statutory role of registering firearms, the RCMP must form an opinion as to the classification of a firearm if the classification is not explicitly set out in the Criminal Code and its supporting regulations. This expert technical opinion is captured in the FRT."

-RCMP Briefing Note to Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney

The firearm I was given met all the requirements laid out in the criminal code to be non-restricted.

Anything which is not forbidden is allowed.

Would you be able in the future make a heavier fluted barrel for it? And maybe a SVD type flash hider for this and all the existing rifles.

Cool rifle and nice review.

Very tempting. I would definitely get one if it were chrome-lined and offered with a shorter barrel (yes, I know, restricted).

I like that the ejection port has been reworked to deflect the brass to the side. The top ejection of the 858 always really, really bugged me when I had them. Did you experience any malfunctions or see any potential issues with ejection (or extraction, for that matter)?

A little more impressed with it now that I see the guts under the dust cover.
Looks like they did away with the wonky recoil spring system attached to the flimsy dust cover based on the pics.
Looks more like an SVT-40 type of recoil spring now. That's a huge improvement!
I like the finish. Looks like a black parkerized or similar?

TVPress guy, is it still striker fired firing pin? Or is it now a rotating hammer system? Would be nice to see a picture of the guts inside with the dust cover off. Can you post one? Curious as to how the striker spring is attached.

All around pretty impressed with the modifications. Now the sight radius with a set of irons can be increased drastically. Should lend itself to better accuracy as well as the squared off receiver back. No more crazy angles with aftermarket stocks.
The only thing that rubs me sideways is the rear angle on the rail cover (I know I'm picky sometimes about pointless crap) the crazy price of them and the "Worse than/same as SKS" accuracy out of them for the crazy price.
I have to say I'm a bit surprised at the accuracy results with a scope like that at 100 meters. If it was irons I'd say awesome lol But that is pretty horrendous.
I can manage 3" groups with the irons at 100 meters with a $200 Soviet SKS! :S Well it will be "more than $600 but less than $1000"....so probably $999. If it's around the $700-$800 mark, I would honestly consider it.

As much as I want one , I won't purchase one until We hear back from CZ on what they are going to do about the current 858 situation. Depending what they do or don't do about it will determine if I will purchase another cz product. As much as I like the CZ product , I feel they have a moral obligation to make things right... Anyways , looks like an amazing product ... I'd love love love to have one

It seems you two are approaching this from different directions.
Tiriaq says if it is not banned by regulation, it must be allowed.
MC2 says that if it is not approved by regulation, it is not allowed yet.

I DONT have the final answer, but I'm leaning towards Tiriaq's understanding of it.

You must have pretty deep pockets to be willing to fight that legal battle. I can set it up if you'd like to challenge the system. :p

As much as I want one , I won't purchase one until We hear back from CZ on what they are going to do about the current 858 situation. Depending what they do or don't do about it will determine if I will purchase another cz product. As much as I like the CZ product , I feel they have a moral obligation to make things right... Anyways , looks like an amazing product ... I'd love love love to have one

Eh?

I think he's refering to CZ screwing people out of their guns by using converted auto receivers and he's not willing to line their pockets with more money until they fix it by sending everyone all new receivers.

Correct sir , not necessarily screwing us , but sitting idle while we are being accused of criminals while in posession of their rifle after buying it 100% legally in good faith doesn't say much for them but that's my opinion.... I see it as a simple recall ... But what do I know I am not by any means a business man or firearms manufacturer/distributor.Anyways , not to derail the thread the 958 seems like a great rifle and as mentioned above I'd love to have one! In the mean Time I'll keep dreaming.

Last edited:
TV- PressPass,

In your opinion, why would one buy CZ958 over CSA VZ58 that we have available in Canada at this time?

Any advantages?

Any disadvantages?

Thanks,
Dan

P.S.

Almost forgotten to mention that CSA VZ58 comes in NR chromed lined version, just in case that someone preferred it that way...

Back
Top Bottom