Modern Hunter and Modern Varmint update Jan 22 2016

I know with the way the our dollar has been going lately, this might be a stupid question, but how much of a price increase are you guys expecting for the next production run?

I know with the way the our dollar has been going lately, this might be a stupid question, but how much of a price increase are you guys expecting for the next production run?

Since our last order of the parts that we do not make in-house the Canadian dollar has lost 11% of its value to USD, so to keep up with this on the next orders for these same parts we need to increase the cost by 11%.
Please keep in mind that only the parts we do not make and have to import are effected. The raw materials used to make the uppers and lowers have only risen by 3%.
Our labor costs have not changed, and our margin is not changing at all.

IF by some miracle the loonie gains some value in the future we will reduce the pricing, but for now we have to deal with current exchange rates and the costs set by our suppliers in the USA.

Gen 2 and 3 PMAGs will work, correct?

Gen 3 Pmags do NOT work, if fact they don't work in most AR10s. The only rifle we have encountered that they actually DO work in is the Knights rifle.
This is why we have undertaken producing our own mags to fit the Modern Hunter and the XCR-M as well as the DPMS style AR10 variants.

The Modern Varmint will use any STANAG mag for an AR15, but will ship from us with our AT15 mag.

Gen 3 Pmags do NOT work, if fact they don't work in most AR10s. The only rifle we have encountered that they actually DO work in is the Knights rifle.
This is why we have undertaken producing our own mags to fit the Modern Hunter and the XCR-M as well as the DPMS style AR10 variants.

The Modern Varmint will use any STANAG mag for an AR15, but will ship from us with our AT15 mag.

So they're coming, or they're already available??

-J.

January 29th will be the cutoff date for the current production runs of both the Modern Hunter and Modern Varmint. This run will have rifles being completed in July/August.

Unfortunately with the loonie loosing so much value we are forced to adjust the pricing on the parts we have to import from the USA on the next production run.:(

Only 1 day left to get old pricing. February is fast upon us.

Only 1 day left to get old pricing. February is fast upon us.

Your website is rather finicky to order from. I attempted to order one of your badboys last year but got fed up with the website.
Question: If I am interested in adding something in later on how problematic is that? Ie going from a heavy to a medium barrel?

Additionally, I dislike brakes. All I wanted was a nice cheap flash hider. If/when I do that would you consider that a mod and thus voiding the warranty?

Also, will the product, when shipped, let the buyer know who the barrel manufacturer is?

thanks

Last edited:
Your website is rather finicky to order from. I attempted to order one of your badboys last year but got fed up with the website. But I finally got er done.
Question: If I am interested in adding something in later on how problematic is that? Ie going from a heavy to a medium barrel?

Additionally, I dislike brakes. All I wanted was a nice cheap flash hider. If/when I do that would you consider that a mod and thus voiding the warranty?

Also, will the product, when shipped, let the buying know who the barrel manufacturer is?

thanks

It seems that some folks have problems with the website and others don't and i am at a loss as to why. Possibly the OS? I am guessing as my knowledge of computers and website operation is nearly nil. All I can say is that if anyone has difficulty we can always be reached by phone.

Making a change such as barrel contour, caliber of furniture is possible but will likely delay the rifles delivery until the next run as we order the number of barrels and the furniture we need based on the orders we have taken.

IF we are supplying a barrel that is threaded for a muzzle device, simply screwing on a muzzle device is not altering the shipped product so no concern on warranty.
We offer several different flash hiders as well for the Varmint.

As for barrel maker it will depend on which platform you go with. The MHs are currently offered with Proof research barrels in CFW or stainless in 308, 260 and 6.5 CM only. Any other caliber will be a Jury.
The MVs will come with Lilja or Proof CFW barrels only so it will be very easy to know. IF you order stainless steel barrel it will be a Lilja, a CFW barrel will be a Proof.

Just to be clear, we needed to set some sort of lines in the sand so to speak regarding warranty for legal purposes. That being said we also stand behind our products fully. By modification we are meaning if you cut the barrel down, or flute it, destroying the accuracy, or replace the trigger with something else which will require milling and drilling, the rifles warranty is void.

Warranty is pretty much dealt with on an individual basis but as a manufacturer we are compelled to not only offer a warranty but also to set bounds for which is excluded. ALL manufacturers have to do this to protect themselves from those individuals who Darwin has missed.

We obviously cannot warrant stupid crap, ie underwater shooting, being driven over, lost, burned to a crisp, lent to a buddy who never returns it, seizure for any reason by legal authorities, loss due to flooding, locusts, mold, civil insurrection, earthquake........................................................................................................

IF anyone has a problem with any of our products we encourage them to contact us (in a civil tone) so we can try to help them. Typically folks are amazed at the lengths we will go to on their behalf.

Last edited:
Yes - made me laugh....

It's too bad, 'cause I was planning on dropping my MH down a massive crack that forms in the earths crust after a big earthquake, and then claiming warranty......

-J.

I have bin having trouble with the website aswell

Apparently the good folks at macro soft provided an update against viruses for us. Their unwanted update screwed our system.

For anyone wanting to get before the prices increase call us with a deposit of some sort and we can sort out the paperwork after the fact. The deposit MUST be made today before 1800 hours or new pricing will be in effect.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Have sent a note to Bill asking him to leave our computers alone, we are OK with potential viruses, but not ok with our website being inoperable.

Is there any plans in the near future to have a few base models of each the varminter and hunter in inventory for sale?

So, have you got any MV put together yet? For testing purposes. If so any reports to be made. And what happens to the test rifles? Sold as used?

It seems that some folks have problems with the website and others don't and i am at a loss as to why. Possibly the OS? I am guessing as my knowledge of computers and website operation is nearly nil. All I can say is that if anyone has difficulty we can always be reached by phone.

Making a change such as barrel contour, caliber of furniture is possible but will likely delay the rifles delivery until the next run as we order the number of barrels and the furniture we need based on the orders we have taken.

IF we are supplying a barrel that is threaded for a muzzle device, simply screwing on a muzzle device is not altering the shipped product so no concern on warranty.
We offer several different flash hiders as well for the Varmint.

As for barrel maker it will depend on which platform you go with. The MHs are currently offered with Proof research barrels in CFW or stainless in 308, 260 and 6.5 CM only. Any other caliber will be a Jury.
The MVs will come with Lilja or Proof CFW barrels only so it will be very easy to know. IF you order stainless steel barrel it will be a Lilja, a CFW barrel will be a Proof.

Just to be clear, we needed to set some sort of lines in the sand so to speak regarding warranty for legal purposes. That being said we also stand behind our products fully. By modification we are meaning if you cut the barrel down, or flute it, destroying the accuracy, or replace the trigger with something else which will require milling and drilling, the rifles warranty is void.

Warranty is pretty much dealt with on an individual basis but as a manufacturer we are compelled to not only offer a warranty but also to set bounds for which is excluded. ALL manufacturers have to do this to protect themselves from those individuals who Darwin has missed.

We obviously cannot warrant stupid crap, ie underwater shooting, being driven over, lost, burned to a crisp, lent to a buddy who never returns it, seizure for any reason by legal authorities, loss due to flooding, locusts, mold, civil insurrection, earthquake........................................................................................................

IF anyone has a problem with any of our products we encourage them to contact us (in a civil tone) so we can try to help them. Typically folks are amazed at the lengths we will go to on their behalf.

Thanks for the reply.

It's almost like you're making a completely Albertan rifle with a Bob Jury barrel. That's pretty cool. I've seen Jury barrels in F Class. They shoot very well.

Back
Top Bottom