Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if SKS disappear from market in Canada (westrifle.com)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lone ranger View Post
    OK then....I've been in the gun market for 40 years. This is what I have personally seen happen over time.
    Lets do a comparison - The military 303 Enfield & the military sks. Both were made buy different countries ....and there was a Huge amount of them built. You could buy the 303 for $18.00 at the surplus store. Now they range form $80 to $300 on the EE. My first sks cost me $79 bucks. They now sell from $100 to $249. The prices don't change much.
    There is still a TON of 303 rifles in this country that can be bought cheap, and that's 40 years latter. The SKS story will be NO different. The 303 surplus ammo dried up, but people reload....and they will do the same for the 762x39. Nothing drastic is going to happen folks. There hasn't been any new Enfields made since the war and there still readily available for cheap. Don't hoard them or baby them or collect them...shoot em and use them.
    This is exactly correct. Anyone that wants an Enfeild in Canada can get one, 7 days a week, for cheap. When were the last ones released and sold as surplus? 50 years ago? Same as SKS. I actually see more SKS at the range than SMLE these days, so they may even outnumber the SMLE.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    I shoudl have said "same will be for the SKS" not "Same as SKS" as obviously they were still in use many places 50 years ago.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    We'll I agree except that an enfield in the original shape of an SKS refurbed or not, will go for a minimum of $600 to over $2000 depending on condition and rarity, even at that, over 50 years they may have kept up with inflation, there will be lots of SKS around and except for the odd hype jack up in price, they will likely go up with the inflation rate!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    Maybe your tin foil hat is on too tight to notice that the main supplies of good quality SKS rifles has dwindled?

What serves no purpose, is you commenting on this post by 8 sentences of completely nothing of any value to this post. If its not your gun nor do you have interest, then go away and read something else.
    Your post makes no sense at all fan boy. But you gave me a good laugh when you said GOOD QUALITY SKS RIFLES . hahahahahahahahahah. Thank you.

wow, too much bs on this thread.

If the sks disappeared, it wouldn't bother me a bit. Had one and didn't like anything about it except cheap ammo.

A side bonus would be no more dealer telling us we should have bought last year, cause the sky is falling.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 9x19p View Post
    If the sks disappeared, it wouldn't bother me a bit. Had one and didn't like anything about it except cheap ammo.

A side bonus would be no more dealer telling us we should have bought last year, cause the sky is falling.
    Yea, I hear ya there! I really like the SKS but the hype is getting tiring, if and when it's over, then fine it's over, no big deal!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

If SKS's were to disappear from the Canadian Market? Obviously remaining supplies would increase in value providing the quality was still there and ammo was still abundant. Just look at what happened to the $269 SVT 40's and K31's; they are all a lot more, if you can find them. What would take its place, hard to say, given that most potential surplus military rifles are full auto now which limits potential imports to a very few, so it looks like we are near the end of the surplus market. Sad but probably true. For me, if the surplus market dried up for non-restrictive, I would probably focus my $$$ on other collectables but safe to say I would have a hard time spending $1000 or more on a SKS type or similar rifle.
    Full Disclosure: I have many SKS, SVT's, K31's, FN49 and of course Mosins, so my opinion maybe a bit one sided.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by sksforever795 View Post
    wow, too much bs on this thread.
    I disagree, it has been a very civil discussion actually, lots of points of view, the question was what do you think would happen! So people are just voicing their opinion! What's wrong with that?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VanIsleCam's Avatar
    +1 its been a mild thread thus far and a good discussion.