CA's 7.62x39 Norinco range report

weasel1

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Well, backyard range report, for now. Using a bag of rice and one of the side shelves on my bbq, I managed to put 7 rounds in 1.8ish inches. The remaining 3, well two were me for sure, the last one, I don't know. Shot steel with 5 more. Overall, I'm pretty happy. If the weather holds out, I'll go to the range and do this test properly.

One thing to note, there was almost no smell once fired. Thought that was a bit odd as the last box of Norinco I shot (silver box) smelled like rotten eggs.

Headstamp:

Projectile (yes, I used pliers):

Sectioned projectile:

Last photo is very interesting. Appears to be steel core, steel jacket with a tiny bit of lead at the tip.

So drill the tip open and now it's soft point ammo which can be used for hunting :D :D :D

If you missed it :D

Copper washed steel jacket. I don't have any ar500 at the moment, so I can't comment on that. My range does have a couple. I'll give it a shot when I go next.

Steel jacket? Copper coated, no? Wouldn't these be pretty hard on AR500 gongs?

Copper washed steel jacket, like almost all other surplus x39, and the ar500 gong depends at the range you shooting, we've had some puck and some not, most ranges dont like you shooting them with anything steel related

Steel jacket? Copper coated, no? Wouldn't these be pretty hard on AR500 gongs?

100m and more, with your gong "free swinging" and you'll be good for a little bit. Big pocks are from shooting at the gong non stop while it was still swinging and coming back. Gongs are wear items :p

I have been shooting this ammo for years and this ammo has been my fav ammo to shoot since I have been shooting it in my 7.62x39 AR

Back
Top Bottom