The New SAM Commander Special

It's blank.
2018-09-04 21.38.26.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-09-04 21.38.26.jpg
    2018-09-04 21.38.26.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 674
Calling something "alloy" is marketing speak. 6061 Al is an alloy of magnesium, silicon and aluminum. Any kind of steel from mild steel to MicroMelt10 tool steel is an alloy.

Calling it an alloy basically is saying "metal, not plastic"

Would you purchase at $689? They have stated there's a manufacturer up charge on 9mm. At $700, does it still appeal to you?

Received the one I ordered, and did a little writing on my first impressions. Posted in the pistol forum here:
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/for...Frame-Commander-Slide?p=15239173#post15239173

I will copy and paste part of it here:
Things I like:
1. Good fit and finish.
The gun is in matte black. All surfaces look smooth, no machine marks. Slide to frame fit is tight enough. No slide play. With the hammer back, safety disengaged, I shook the gun in my hand. Nothing wobbled.

The gun has a blank left side of slide, and is marked "Commander Special" on the right side of the slide. I'm glad that they did not put any laser etching on the gun, which would look pretty bad. The Philippines made 1911s in the U.S. market always have big ugly laser etched logos on them, making them look cheap. Good call, Wolverine Supplies.

2. Mostly right parts/features.
One thing about 1911s is that you may have to replace parts (sights, beavertail, trigger, grips, etc.) as soon as you receive the gun. This one has most of the right parts already installed, so at this moment I don't think I really need to replace anything. The sights are good (white dot front + serrated black back Novak style). Beavertail is good. Trigger is not pretty, but the length is just right. I may change grip panels in the future, but only after I find better looking Officer grips.

The front strap checkering is a nice surprise, since it is usually "custom work" that costs extra. More on this later.

There is also some trigger guard undercut done by the factory. Nice touch, especially on an Officer grip.

3. Nice trigger.
The SAM has a very nice trigger out of the box. It has a smooth 2mm take-up, and then a crisp break at, I don't know (I don't have a gauge), around 3 - 4 lbs. This is after I put a little oil inside and did some slide racking and dry firing. In a word, surprisingly good trigger.

4. ACT-MAG mag:
It comes with a glossy polished ACT-Mag with plastic base pad. 7 rounds. This is a good quality mag instead of crappy factory 6 round mag with no base pad.

Things I don't like:
1. It is not compatible with some drop-in aftermarket 1911 parts.
The cut inside the slide will only allow a shorter version of guide rod plug. And the frame (or maybe the barrel) is made in a way, that if another guide rod (Wilson Combat) is put in, the slide will have about 0.5mm backward slide play.

I found this when I tried to put in a full length guide rod, mainly for some extra weight, but I failed. I filed the Wilson Commander plug to the SAM length (about 1mm shorter), but it still won't work because of the slide play issue. I guess the Wilson guide rod somehow does not sit right in the frame. It works on every other 1911 I have though (Colt, Norinco, Dlask, etc.).

So I have to use the SAM guide rod and plug. It works, but a big part of the fun of 1911s is interchangeable parts, right?

2. Frame saftey has sharp edges.
Thumb skin hurts when I push the safety up and down. I will need to file and blacken it later.

3. Only one mag.
Only one mag in the box! This is a little cheap, considering Officer mags are not widely available, and I will have to purchase a few. Manufactuer should have included a couple extra mags, at least one more, which for them won't be the same price as the retail price that we pay at, right?

4. The front strap checkering a little too agressive.
It is a little too sharp. It would be perfect if it is slightly easier. Tiny issue.

5. I don't like the partially polished carbon steel barrel.
To my personal taste, it is either a fully blued carbon steel barrel, or an unfinished stainless steel (or chromed carbon steel) barrel. The partial polishing looks weird. And I guess it may rust, if not well taken care of? I may blue it later. Another tiny issue, which could be a non-issue with others.

(NEW edit) 6. It doesn't take aftermarket Officer grips, either!
I tried putting two different makes of aftermarket Officer grips on it, and failed on both occasions. It seems that the lower grip bushing on the SAM grip is a little too forward (by about 1.5mm), so aftermarket Officer grips would be too close to the front strap, and too far from the back strap, and the bottom will be tilted. This is another disappointment with the compatibility of the SAM 1911.

So far I like the look and feel of this SAM, but really don't like it being incompatible with aftermarket 1911 parts (which takes away most of the fun of having a 1911). I have just received the registration papers from CFO (took too long), and will post an update after I range test it.

uc

Last edited:
@Terry Nice review. I actually like the little polished part of the barrel. Have you had it out to the range yet. I'm curious how you would compare it to your other 1911s.

@Wolverine Any chance of getting extras of the ACT mags with the extended floor plate that come with this pistol? The E lander mags are alright but the ACT polished blue one is better for grip.

Back
Top Bottom