Modern Sporter photo thread

Couldn't make it to my regular range due to snow, so I set up in a field to sight in. NR is totally worth it.

rypoDsJ.jpg

Z9glF6n.jpg

IXjuoeg.jpg

Here we go:

Jury barrel in .223 wylde
Odin Works Ragna hadnguard
Odin Works low profile gas block
Colt FA bcg
Colt ambi charging handle
ALG trigger
Magpul MOE carbine stock
Magpul MOE grip
ATRS scope rings
Nightforce NX8 scope

All the other small parts are a bit of a mix and match, mostly Anderson.

Waiting on a few different dust covers to try out, as I'm not pleased with the fitment of my current one.

And my muzzle device is a piece of threaded brass hex stock, because that's what I had laying around that was an appropriate size. I'm waiting on a proper knurled steel thread protector.

Currently a little over 8 lbs and far from being a "budget build".

Love the OD green look. A man with impeccable tastes.

Will the NF fit on lower rings? Sees kind of high to me.

Love the OD green look. A man with impeccable tastes.

Will the NF fit on lower rings? Sees kind of high to me.

You are pretty much obliged to run higher rings on an AR style platform simply so you can get behind the scope and see something. The AR platform is very different from conventional bolt action style rifles as they have no drop in the stock to allow for eye alignment with the optic.

The scope itself could sit lower without interference. It does need the height for line of sight though, at least for me.

Just finished my 7.62x39 build:

TNA 7.62x39 18.5" barrel (Made by Maple Ridge Armory)
Bootleg Inc 15" KMR Handguard
Griffin Armament M4SD Comp
AAC NiBoron Bolt Carrier
LMT Enhanced Bolt
Radian Raptor charging handle and Talon safety
POF Enhanced buffer tube & bolt stop
ALG ACT
Kahles K16i on Geissele Mount
Magpul furniture

DSC_0698 by , on Flickr

^^ Ya, I'm pretty sure that's the first 7.62x39 build posted so far. Kinda surprised there haven't been more.

Curious to hear how it performs. I've got an IBI x39 barrel sitting waiting and ready to go on a second production run receiver set.

I was surprised there weren't any others either given the popularity/versatility of the round...especially the fact that we can use the XCR-M magazines. I didn't know IBI was making non-res length x39 barrels?!? Gonna test evrything out this Friday. Hope all goes well as this caliber can sometimes be problematic in the AR platform.

I was surprised there weren't any others either given the popularity/versatility of the round...especially the fact that we can use the XCR-M magazines. I didn't know IBI was making non-res length x39 barrels?!? Gonna test evrything out this Friday. Hope all goes well as this caliber can sometimes be problematic in the AR platform.

Wait... We can use xcr-m mags in the modern Sporter lower?
Or do you mean xcr pistol mags?(I apologize in advance if I missed a previous post explaining this)

Which is exactly why I said I'm curious to hear how it performs. Please let us know.

So I made it out for a brief range session and it went better than expected. Got about 40 uneventful rounds down range (more on why only 40 later). It was a mix of Romanian and Chinese non-corrosive surplus. It all fed, fired, and extracted beautifully. Although I was shooting offhand accuracy was good. The rifle started to short stroke after about 40 rounds. I expected this to happen. I was using a Geissele Super Gas block on an undimpled nitrided barrel. I normally Rocksett my gas blocks but in this case I hadn't yet until I was sure it was positioned correctly for proper function. Sure enough it had shifted enough to cause the malfunction. I am absolutely confident that once it is properly mounted there will be no further issues. I have a bit of experience with AR platform 7.62x39 rifles and the 4 thing I have found to lead to reilaible function are 1)Full power or extra hammer springs 2)Enhanced firing pin 3)Quality bolt and 4)Carbine buffer. Needless to say I am extremly happy with the product ATRS have put out and look forward to shooting it alot more.

P.S. Magazines used were ASC XCR-L 10-round pistol. They dropped freely, fed beautifully and locked the bolt back when empty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom