Target Sports Canada

Associate member since last year, seems like a great facility to me. Great staff, instructors, and the IDPA/IPSC practice nights are great too. New air system, back stop, etc. As far as a business over a club, it's a bit of both and doesn't bother me one bit, I am happy that I have a range in my area and will continue to support TSC.

http://www.targetsportscanada.com/facility

Last edited:
Either some range in Burlington/Hamilton area or Gagnon Sports in Oshawa is about the closet distance you can go for indoor.

For outdoors, Silverdale is full for member now, but you can do walk in. Or try Ontario Rifle Association for any of their events at CFB Borden, probably closer than silverdale.

Of course someone who joined CGN within the past 2 weeks and has only 15 posts thinks TSC is the greatest facility. A simple search on here you will find dozens if not hundreds of complaints about TSC.
But I guess if its the only place you ever been it has to be great right?

I recommend anyone considering joining TSC do your research first, you will quickly learn the truth.

Associate member since last year, seems like a great facility to me. Great staff, instructors, and the IDPA/IPSC practice nights a great too. New air system, back stop, etc. As far as a business over a club, it's a bit of both and doesn't bother me one bit, I am happy that I have a range in my area and will continue to support TSC.

http://www.targetsportscanada.com/facility

It seems a lot of people have an axe to grind with Target. I don't know how much of it is real.

I've been a member (currently it's called Calibre gun club, previously Grange) for about 8 years. I don't regret it. It's not perfect. If there was a better, more convenient, closer to Toronto, usable in the winter, club I would switch. But there isn't. And I've never had an issue with the staff. A few are a bit surly, but most are nice.

Yes, the targets retrievers sometimes don't work, but nearly all do. Would you rather wait for a ceasefire and switch your targets by hand?

Anytime you shoot indoors frequently, you should be using an air filter.

Range Burlington is open for members, you just sign up, and walk-in on one of their Safety Course Days. Usually there is space for a few people, and worst case, you can show up again and you will probably be prioritized if you didn't make it the first time you showed up.

Everyone I know got in the first time they showed up though.

I personally didn't feel Target Sports was bad, I actually liked it. The only con was 25 metre range, and me driving the 401 & 404 to get there (traffic sucks haha).

Never had an issue with any of the staff myself either...

If anything, I was maybe worried about someone being unsafe, same with any range though. I just know when I went one of the stalls DID have bullet holes in the table meaning, someone must have point-blank fired their gun on the shooting table in one of the stalls. But I never noticed any unsafe guests/issues when I did go. I always got a spot, but before I used to leave, usually there's people waiting for a free stall to open up for sure. (it's happened before at Range Burlington and Silverdale too though; no free stalls so that's hit or miss).

Two years ago I was visiting a friend in Markham and he insisted Target Sports was great. He took me one evening and we walked in and there were two giant beefcakes in wife beaters, they had gold teeth with giant gold clocks around their neck and were taking pictures of a blonde in yoga pants who was posing with a pistol in the stall. She was doing duck face and had her finger on the trigger.

The issue with Target sports is safety,

I have been there for 10 years and it's only 10 mn from my house , so that is convenience .

Some Members come in the morning and start shooting with the green light still ON.

and that did not happen only once .

Some Members I don't know where they have learned their basic safety ,(like where to encase a firearm, not servicing their gun when It's loaded) thinks I see sometimes on the range is unacceptable. That should be membership cancellation on the spot.

the main issue is the revolving door they have with staff, standard & consistency are not there

The issue with Target sports is safety,

I have been there for 10 years and it's only 10 mn from my house , so that is convenience .

Some Members come in the morning and start shooting with the green light still ON.

and that did not happen only once .

Some Members I don't know where they have learned their basic safety ,(like where to encase a firearm, not servicing their gun when It's loaded) thinks I see sometimes on the range is unacceptable. That should be membership cancellation on the spot.

the main issue is the revolving door they have with staff, standard & consistency are not there

In the years I've been there, I've not seen anyone servicing a loaded gun (!). Yes, one time I saw the first guy coming in on a Sunday morning forget to turn on the red light. I doubt that this happens only at Target.

I worry more about the members who bring in guests, and then don't supervise them directly. They shoot in one lane, and leave their buddy (or girlfriend) to shoot in the adjacent lane, unsupervised. THAT worries me. I bring in a good number of guests myself, trying to promote shooting, and I am always within arm length of them, keeping an eye on where they are pointing the gun. I actually left the range one time because of this issue. But I think this will be true in any club that allows members to bring guests. And there are some awfully stupid members as well.

They bring in lots of small groups, which are supervised by staff, and I'm much less nervous about this. The store staff supervise their shooting tourists fairly hands-on.

In the years I've been there, I've not seen anyone servicing a loaded gun (!). Yes, one time I saw the first guy coming in on a Sunday morning forget to turn on the red light. I doubt that this happens only at Target.

I worry more about the members who bring in guests, and then don't supervise them directly. They shoot in one lane, and leave their buddy (or girlfriend) to shoot in the adjacent lane, unsupervised. THAT worries me. I bring in a good number of guests myself, trying to promote shooting, and I am always within arm length of them, keeping an eye on where they are pointing the gun. I actually left the range one time because of this issue. But I think this will be true in any club that allows members to bring guests. And there are some awfully stupid members as well.

They bring in lots of small groups, which are supervised by staff, and I'm much less nervous about this. The store staff supervise their shooting tourists fairly hands-on.

My issue is not with the tourists, since a staff member is supervising them,

this morning the guy to my left fully loaded 9mm, trying to service his laser sight that turn ON & OFF after each shot, most probably he never heard of muzzle direction

Check the calendar on their website and make sure the “Range B closed for agency use” doesn’t appear too many times during the hours you usually expect to be shooting. That could get annoying. Funny, at another club im a member I can open the clubhouse, shoot for 3-4 hours and lock up the shack.. never bumping into a single soul. #### Toronto haha.

Anyone you see doing something inappropriate at the range, you should definitely speak up. Or let the R.O. know before an accident happens, better safe than shot! Just my.02

Of course someone who joined CGN within the past 2 weeks and has only 15 posts thinks TSC is the greatest facility. A simple search on here you will find dozens if not hundreds of complaints about TSC.
But I guess if its the only place you ever been it has to be great right?

I recommend anyone considering joining TSC do your research first, you will quickly learn the truth.

Wow! You assume alot, sorry you had a bad experience there.
Here is a link to my other ranges, let me know what you think. Lol

https://scottsdalegunclub.com/?SID=7522ba98bcd39c939d147c8075648220
https://www.northernarizonashootingrange.org

Went with an associate as well as putting my name in @tirpc. Might apply at a few others as well, never know about wait lists. Can't afford Sharon unfortunately. Thanks for all the feed back

Gagnon sports opened their indoor range last year. About same distance as Target east right off the 401.

Back
Top Bottom