Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Target Sports Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Is it about our pockets or supporting our sport? YES ! Very hindering to our sport!
    Actually it's both, ever heard the term " pay to play ". If your worried about cost, try getting some sponsors. Or did you think this "sport" was going to be cheap! Lol. It's more than sport it's a lifestyle.
    Regardless, have fun wherever you practise be safe ACTS/PROVE and keep the mag side down.
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.
    Member of NFA CCFR CSSA NRA DTOM CATI LEFTY MAFIA

Quote Originally Posted by tjspeller View Post
    there is a lot of hate for target sports, and it still makes no sense to me.
    In toronto target sports is the place to take newbies to, if you want to show them that guns are no big deal. It's where i shot my first gun with my wife, it's where i've taken a dozen friends and politicians over the last few years.
    Saying that target sports has harmed the gun community is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.
    And there is a lot of misinformation about what jr did and didn't do, and why, and that it led to with regards to the swissarms.

"reading this makes me feel that anybody that supports target, is supporting the 'effin libs." is ridiculous. But if you really want to support the liberals, then sow division in the gun community using a lot of hearsay and personal bias.
    x2.
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.

Quote Originally Posted by TJspeller View Post
    And there is a lot of misinformation about what JR did and didn't do, and why, and that it led to with regards to the Swissarms.
    I’d like to hear what misinformation there is about a shop owner calling the RCMP on a rival and leading to 4000$ rifles being made prohibited.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TJspeller View Post

I worry more about the members who bring in guests, and then don't supervise them directly. They shoot in one lane, and leave their buddy (or girlfriend) to shoot in the adjacent lane, unsupervised. THAT worries me. I bring in a good number of guests myself, trying to promote shooting, and I am always within arm length of them, keeping an eye on where they are pointing the gun. I actually left the range one time because of this issue. But I think this will be true in any club that allows members to bring guests. And there are some awfully stupid members as well.

^THIS.

I've called people out on gun handling before.

Other than that I've been a member for 6 years. Customer service has been ok for me. And there are no other convenient options for me.
    Last edited by Blackranger3d; 05-20-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    I love guns
    Norinco 1911, Cz97b, G17, Girson 16, G21, G41, SW 1911, USP, Tanfoglio, Mk23, Conan, Sig Super Target
    Cx4, Aero Survival, BushMaster Ar,Tavor, 9mm AR, 9mm Vector, Udp9

Quote Originally Posted by haim View Post
    I own a share at Sharon gun club .I am thinking about renting my share since I have not been able to make the time to go and shoot.

what would be a fair price in your opinion .
    Rentals seem to be going around $500-$600
    ICORE/IPSC/USPSA

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscript View Post
    Garbage, don't waste your time. ###### owner, air is filled with lead, and the employees are goons.

Get a share at Sharon and be among good people.
    Yup, just whip out $10k or so and after a year, you're good to go...if you can find someone to sell a share.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Well I waited this one out to let everyone have their say, (plus I was enjoying the weekend camping)and now I thought I’d pipe in as I am the topic of conversation:

Firstly, I’d like to thank the majority of the posters for remaining civil in this tread. I can take criticism as it can usually lead to positive changes. If anyone has anything constructive to add, or suggestions to improve Target Sports, I’d really like to hear it.

Unfortunately, the problem is that everyone wants a private personal range with the minimum of members… at a reasonable cost. This is why most clubs are not taking memberships. But building new facilities are hugely expensive and any new facilities being proposed now fall under incredibly daunting new rules and OH&S guidelines. Old existing clubs that are not-for-profit are to the large extent, grandfathered or flying under the radar. My OH&S bill in Ontario is over $100k per year alone.

1) Target Sports is definitely a member focused range: We totally renovated the bays 3 years ago and added almost a third more lanes. We have members only times on weekend mornings and that gives them full run of the house. We also divided up the membership into full and associate to give people a choice on both their “spend” and range use. Weekends are a premium time and the full members should get that time. We also try to clearly communicate any closures in advance and limit the number of agency / school bookings. We also NEVER take agency bookings on weekends.

2) The ventilation is not “crap”: It’s not perfect, but we have the employees tested monthly or quarterly, the general air going and the exhaust annually, the air in the classrooms and retail are also tested and we have pressure gauges on the filter banks. We also have to do surface testing. As we know it’s not perfect, we have hired yet another HVAC engineer to see what to do. There is lots of air coming and going, but it’s not “flowing” properly. But in the end, we know it’s safe. We also know the classrooms, retail and prep areas are also safe.

3) Members cannot let unlicensed guests shoot unattended. If you see this; point it out to one of the range officers as we’ll sort that out ASAP. We try to run a very safe and functional facility. That being said; if you don’t tell us, but come on here to complain; we cannot help. For those here that do tell us, I hope we sorted things to your satisfaction. I have noted that a couple posters here have indicated we did not... I'll be bringing this up as that is just poor management. Also, keep in mind, we do try to be discrete when we speak with people, so you may not know that we have dealt with things as well.

4) Damages in the facility: They are not caused very much by the walk-ins. They are caused by full members. The same members that have PALS, a CLSC and profess to be the “safest” shooters out there. We do try to police members. However, there is a line when the ROs become range Nazis and in some ways that is actually worse than missing a few infractions. What was interesting is that the moment we stopped allowing licensed people to just show up and shoot, our range repair costs dropped 50%... YUP 50%

5) Costs: Yes, it is expensive (relatively) to have a membership at Target. But once you are a member; that is all you have to spend. You also have no volunteer hours and are perfectly in your right to bug us if something is not working. Lanes should be up! Lights should be working, etc… This is not a club where there is only a groundskeeper on staff and everything else is done volunteer. It costs a small fortune just to staff the place, handle memberships, scrub the place down, etc. I’ve seen the posts promoting TIRPC and it looks nice. During the summer it will probably be a great place to shoot. If I lived in Ontario, I’d probably get a membership, especially as I love skeet and sporting clays. But it’s not the same to compare my costs with them, when I heat (and cool in summer) 24 lanes; 365 days a year. I hope they do well and would be happy to promote them… the more clubs the better!

Costs to run a commercial facility are huge. If it was this fabled "license to print money", there would be a lot more ranges popping up. There is also a ton of ongoing issues that continuously cause heart ache and head aches. This industry is not for the weak of heart or thin skinned. ;-)

I also want to address the issue with the familiarization walk-in crowd:

These programs are essential to growing our sport. As annoying as you may find them. If we do not expose large numbers of Canadians to our safe and accessible sport, we will lose it. We have to dispel the image of the “angry old white guy”, “the gang-banger” and the “mall cop, swat team wanna-be”as the typical target shooters. The only way to do that is for them to come in, be surrounded by a variety of people from all walks of life, safely enjoying their sport.

There is also a direct correlation between the numbers of people trying to shoot in commercial ranges and the increase in people taking their PAL courses.

If we don’t accept this inconvenience, we’ll stay an elitist closed off sport; ripe for the picking by the libs.

I’m proud to say that over the past 19 years I have run ranges in Canada, we have exposed almost 500,000 new shooters to the sport (yes… half a million). Except for Ken at Wild West; I do not think anyone can say they have done as much as us to promote the shooting sports as us.

And finally;

The Swiss Arms thing is a very complicated issue in itself and I’ve long since apologized for my part in inadvertently walking into a RCMP trap. We all make mistakes. But to say that because of this, I should somehow be vilified for every other thing I did and continue to do for the shooting sports is unfair. I have put a lot of my money, time and energies into many shooting disciplines and government lobbying as well. These efforts far pre-date the entire Swiss Arms saga. Unlike 99.9% of posters on CGN, I am an easy target. If you really have a problem with me, call me. I am not that hard to find.

But in the end…

Is Target Sports perfect… hell no!

Can we do things better?.... hell yes!

But challenges bring rewards and after 19 years, I still look forward to "work" everyday. Not a lot of people can say that. Please keep the suggestions coming and I’ll keep working with the team to make it better. If I missed someone's point on here, I'm sorry, but I'm trying not to write a novel. We will be dissecting this thread tomorrow though and we have a full staff meeting scheduled next weekend to work through these and other points.

My direct email is jr@theedgegroup.ca

Cheers and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Why walk in guest allowed to shoot rifle in range A but me as a member I need shoot my rifle at range B and not allowed to shoot it range A? (Range B always have event in the weekday evening)
    And customer service is not good, the only reason I go to target sports is because it’s close to where I live

Quote Originally Posted by MajorCow View Post
    Why walk in guest allowed to shoot rifle in range A but me as a member I need shoot my rifle at range B and not allowed to shoot it range A? (Range B always have event in the weekday evening)
    And customer service is not good, the only reason I go to target sports is because it’s close to where I live
    Range "B" is the rifle range for members only from what I understood, so I don't see your point. Whereas range "A" is for handgun and walk ins, and on average 2 nights a week for IDPA/ISPC from 5-9 pm.

Some of you people need to quit bitchin, and be grateful we even have a facility this close to the GTA/YORK.

Or step up to the plate with your multiply millions of dollars, and show us how it's done!

As far as customer service, Target Sports actually gives the first time shooter a hands on tutorial before they shoot. Something I wish Shooters World in AZ did when I went there. So instead of s#$@&+( where you sleep, broaden your view and you will see very quickly that we have a fine facility, yes improvements/upgrades are always wanted. So if you have some time on your hands volunteer at your local range, instead of kicking it into the ground? Just my .02.
    LEST WE FORGET

CGN Ultra frequent flyer padawan's Avatar
    JR,

I would start with a complete staff turnover. Actually look for and hire professional firearms enthusiasts that love the sport as much as we do. Those kids that have been hired over the years.....and there have been many, are brutal.

You will have to pay to get better staff, but it's worth it.
    Poly is pissed eh...behold my field of f*cks..and see that it is bare!!

Murph83