Got my GSG-16 today what a pile of

Just think of all the 10/22 out there that have been modified with shorter barrel ... it doesnt make sense that if you buy an aftermarket barrel and a fixe stock for the gsg it make it prohibited ...

I disagree with that interpretation that swapping a factory part with a factory part creates a prohibited firearm. The 2 examples of alterations (sawing and cutting) indicate alterations as "modifies an existing" part. Otherwise anyone with a restricted AR-15 swapping from a long barrel to a short barrel creates a prohibited AR-15 (to refute a common rebuttal: if something is prohibited first it can't be restricted, so just because an AR-15 is prescribed restricted you can still make it a prohibited firearm), or if you have a regular old restricted 18" M1 carbine 36" OAL swapping to the paratrooper stock creates a prohibited firearm as it is about 25" OAL.

The AR15 and any variant or modification is restricted by name.

View attachment 305175

So modifying an AR15 still keeps it Restricted. That’s not the case for the GSG 16, it appears anyway.

Last edited:
2A059765-73D8-4344-BA9C-8C118EB02C6C.jpgB3A2E561-F587-4010-989F-244D75E7E474.jpg

Attachments

• 2A059765-73D8-4344-BA9C-8C118EB02C6C.jpg
    2A059765-73D8-4344-BA9C-8C118EB02C6C.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,300
  • B3A2E561-F587-4010-989F-244D75E7E474.jpg
    B3A2E561-F587-4010-989F-244D75E7E474.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,309
Ok and if you buy an aftermarket barrel,what could be happening ? if you get arrested and wanted to prove you bought it aftermarket ?

You SPECIFICALLY SAID "you cant chop it yourself,you have to go trought a gunsmith to be legal". It doesn't matter who "chops" it. You can't chop it, nobody can "chop" it. That's the point.

If you get arrested you can provide a receipt, point to the manufacturer's stamp on the barrel or show the barrel in a catalogue... that's the difference. I didn't make the law, it's stupid, yes. But that's what it says.

View attachment 305158

In other words- it has to come from GSG with a shorter barrel and oal over 660mm to be kosher. Replacing the barrel is still a no no.

Doesn't have to come from GSG. Look at the 10/22.. You can buy a 8" barrel from Dlask, and slap it on it. As long as the barrel is a manufactured to that length, not one cut down to length and for that gun. And you keep it 26" OAL, it's a NR. Back in the day there was 8" krinker plinker kits. 8" barrel with folding stocks,you could register it as a restricted and allow the stock to stay folded, or could pin the stock from closing and be a NR.

So if say Dlask makes a 10" barrel for the GSG that is a drop in. You could slap it on, as long as you pin the stock to maintain 26", you're good.

The AR15 and any variant or modification is restricted by name.

So modifying an AR15 still keeps it Restricted. That’s not the case for the GSG 16, it appears anyway.

restricted firearm means

(a) a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,

(b) a firearm that

(i) is not a prohibited firearm,

(ii) has a barrel less than 470 mm in length, and

(iii) is capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner,

Otherwise a full auto AR-15 would be a restricted firearm, if what you are saying is that the prescribed restricted classification overrides a prohibited modification.

So the GSG 16's I'm seeing in this thread are the ATI imported ones to the US and not the ones Blue Line is importing to Canada correct? Only 1 mag and no adjustable trigger?

Otherwise a full auto AR-15 would be a restricted firearm, if what you are saying is that the prescribed restricted classification overrides a prohibited modification.

The laws are a MESS. But even the NFA has a page explaining just this. “The specific overides the general”. From my reading taking a 18.5” Roger 10/22 and putting a 16” barrel on it is prohibited. Now how anyone would prove you didn’t buy the 16” version in the first place.... It’s a rediculous mess of laws. AR15s stay restricted if you shorten the barrel but a .22 GSG 16 does not.

https://nfa.ca/2005/02/25/barrel-and-firearms-lengths/

Doesn't have to come from GSG. Look at the 10/22.. You can buy a 8" barrel from Dlask, and slap it on it. As long as the barrel is a manufactured to that length, not one cut down to length and for that gun. And you keep it 26" OAL, it's a NR. Back in the day there was 8" krinker plinker kits. 8" barrel with folding stocks,you could register it as a restricted and allow the stock to stay folded, or could pin the stock from closing and be a NR.

So if say Dlask makes a 10" barrel for the GSG that is a drop in. You could slap it on, as long as you pin the stock to maintain 26", you're good.

Exacly,imagine all of the 10/22 being outlaw rifle out there,make no sens that the GSG 16 would be prohib slapping a shorter barrel on it with a non forlding stock.

Exacly,imagine all of the 10/22 being outlaw rifle out there,make no sens that the GSG 16 would be prohib slapping a shorter barrel on it with a non forlding stock.

Which is totally fine IMHO. The problem is you were specifically saying you were going to cut down the barrel or have it cut down by a gunsmith... which is illegal.

Which is totally fine IMHO. The problem is you were specifically saying you were going to cut down the barrel or have it cut down by a gunsmith... which is illegal.

Ya that part was understand,because to have example an sks and want to shorten the barrel to 18.6 you have to go trought a gunsmith,and if you do this by a gunsmith for the OAL it's illegal,what kind of non logical laws we have ..>.

Just gonna leave these here...

7tESQjc.jpg

dZEDnIs.jpg

SOOOO much better than the stock, stock. Also feels sturdier when shouldering it.

The stock rails are metal, the OEM ones aren't. My gun's now 87% plastic and 13% metal.. lol

https://www.evike.com/products/28357/. 10$ USD shipping got it to me within a week.

This stock does go forward more than the OEM one, you'll have to cut off a little section so it clears the ejection window. (You can see this in the first pic)

Next step, 'fixing' those front rails/guard so it look better.
Was the stock a straight drop in change?

Was the stock a straight drop in change?

'yes'. you unscrew the oem one, and screw this one in with the same screw. Note that you will probably have to dremel off 1/2" of the stock arm that covers the ejection port. As stated, it take a little more effort to slide it in/out, but after a while I guess it gets easier. Also note that there is not stopper for this, if you swing the locking lever in the open position, you can pull the whole stock out of the body. It's easy to slide it back in though.

For 35$, nothing I've noted is a deal breaker.

Two versions of a butt stock rail delete/cheek riser I'm trying out. I'm leaning towards the small version... It actually puts my cheek in the perfect position for the TRS-25. I take back what I said earlier in the thread, a cheek riser can definitely work... Also hides that section of rail nicely. I like this better than an airsoft stock. I'm gonna try a different angle on the rear end of it I think. The small one seems to work just as well as the big one as a cheek riser, surprisingly... Opinions?

image1-1.jpg

image2-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom