Remington 700 PCR SB Shorty

Yup I was gonna go for a raps-c , but a good deal on a luth ar came up so I'm going with that. I'll post pics when I get it.

For the reasons you mentioned, I think it is best to set it up that way. The rifle is to short to go the other way in my opinion. But you know, it’s an easy thing to test, and see what fits best for you. Since this is my hunting rifle, the bipod only stays on it for range days. When it’s hunting season, I replace it for an angle foregrip.

Then it would make more sense to mount it with the legs folding to the front as per normal......so you can stack it for shooting off the bench. Wondering for a friend....

[/B]

Then it would make more sense to mount it with the legs folding to the front as per normal......so you can stack it for shooting off the bench. Wondering for a friend....

A harris type bipod where the legs don't lock will only work in one direction.... other bipods like an Atlas that lock it doesn't really make much difference as you could load it in either direction and the legs are supported the same way. The Magpull is stronger pushing in one direction as there is a limit to how far the legs rotate but there is also a detent that stops the legs from folding in the opposite direction that should be strong enough to support moderate forward "loading" of the bipod.

If you have a full rail on the bottom of the handguard or an M-lok bipod you could mount the magpull in either orientation by choosing a forward or reward mounting location and the bipod when folded would not extend much past the end of the barrel.

Thanks!

A harris type bipod where the legs don't lock will only work in one direction.... other bipods like an Atlas that lock it doesn't really make much difference as you could load it in either direction and the legs are supported the same way. The Magpull is stronger pushing in one direction as there is a limit to how far the legs rotate but there is also a detent that stops the legs from folding in the opposite direction that should be strong enough to support moderate forward "loading" of the bipod.

If you have a full rail on the bottom of the handguard or an M-lok bipod you could mount the magpull in either orientation by choosing a forward or reward mounting location and the bipod when folded would not extend much past the end of the barrel.

Well explained, thks!!

Getting ready for the hunting season. Took off the bipod and added an extended cheekrest, handstop, and rubber handguard covers to help with the cold

Has anyone done any reloads for this rifle yet? I loaded up some 150gn SSts with varget and will see how they shoot I'm fairly new to reloading but have heard SSTs tends to break apart at higher velocities. I'm hoping they will be a great hunting round for this rifle considering the short barrel.

Has anyone done any reloads for this rifle yet? I loaded up some 150gn SSts with varget and will see how they shoot I'm fairly new to reloading but have heard SSTs tends to break apart at higher velocities. I'm hoping they will be a great hunting round for this rifle considering the short barrel.

Yes, I've listed bullets and velocities and I think CampCook posted more data previously in this thread.

Does anyone have a solution to plug this little hold under the trigger? The edges annoy my finger over time if I'm not using gloves. ARs and 10/22s have rubber plugs for that space in some cases..

Yes, I've listed bullets and velocities and I think CampCook posted more data previously in this thread.

150gr SST's will be doing appr 2500fps I believe they will work fine in these short guns.

I'm loading 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips that I had around and 125gr Accubonds.

I found three boxes of 100 150gr jacketed round nose bullets on my shelf I've been thinking of giving them a try for deer hunting.

They should open up very well on deer

150gr SST's will be doing appr 2500fps I believe they will work fine in these short guns.

I'm loading 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips that I had around and 125gr Accubonds.

I found three boxes of 100 150gr jacketed round nose bullets on my shelf I've been thinking of giving them a try for deer hunting.

They should open up very well on deer

It will depend on your powder and the burn rate. I'm using D5744 (Accurate 5744 analogue) and my 147gr loads are 2420fps-ish. Using D4895 I couldn't get close to that.

Look up handgun loads for 15" barreled Prohunter/Encores on Hodgdons site.

The two best velocity powders for that barrel length are IMR3031 and IMR4064

I have both of these powders I use IMR3031 for my 125gr @ 2720fps loads

Ill be specific to avoid any witty banter. Using Hornady Brass Federal 210m primers, varget with Barnes TTSX. All cases were trimmed and chamfered at exactly 2.005. bullets were seated using a federal fusion 165g as a guide and then the die tweeked to get overall length of 2.8. Every shell was checked and rechecked using digital calipers. Cases and necks were lubed properly and at no time did I experience any issues while making the ammo. worked a load up from 42.5 to 44.5 in 1/2g increments. At 44.5 chrono recorded 2389 fps and 2404 fps. Only issue was a slight tightness when closing the bolt but I think its due to the ogive being different between the fusion and barnes so I am grabbing a comparator from epps this week and I will test a few more . At 2400 fps this little canon will be an ideal bush gun this moose season. My shots where we hunt are always within 100yrds so I have no concerns with this combination not penetrating or expanding. Would I use this on moose hunting over bogs in NFLD, probably not, thats what my .338 is for but here in Ontario I think this little beast is perfect. I have a 7600 with a 16.5" barrel so when I get the round perfected Ill fire it in the 16.5" and see how much speed the 4" difference gives up. I have no idea how to post pics on here or I would show the guns and the round. Links are below if they actually work. Cheers
https://ibb.co/album/YX63FJ
https://ibb.co/album/C1kgFq

Ill be specific to avoid any witty banter. Using Hornady Brass Federal 210m primers, varget with Barnes TTSX. All cases were trimmed and chamfered at exactly 2.005. bullets were seated using a federal fusion 165g as a guide and then the die tweeked to get overall length of 2.8. Every shell was checked and rechecked using digital calipers. Cases and necks were lubed properly and at no time did I experience any issues while making the ammo. worked a load up from 42.5 to 44.5 in 1/2g increments. At 44.5 chrono recorded 2389 fps and 2404 fps. Only issue was a slight tightness when closing the bolt but I think its due to the ogive being different between the fusion and barnes so I am grabbing a comparator from epps this week and I will test a few more . At 2400 fps this little canon will be an ideal bush gun this moose season. My shots where we hunt are always within 100yrds so I have no concerns with this combination not penetrating or expanding. Would I use this on moose hunting over bogs in NFLD, probably not, thats what my .338 is for but here in Ontario I think this little beast is perfect. I have a 7600 with a 16.5" barrel so when I get the round perfected Ill fire it in the 16.5" and see how much speed the 4" difference gives up. I have no idea how to post pics on here or I would show the guns and the round. Links are below if they actually work. Cheers
https://ibb.co/album/YX63FJ
https://ibb.co/album/C1kgFq

Does 870 furniture just bolt right onto the 7600?

Supposedly the Hornady 190gr Sub-X projectiles do not explode if pushed to normal velocity, I wonder how they would fair for hunting at shorter distance...

The fore end yes but the stock needs an adapter or anything from a 20g. These barnes dont explode either they are all copper its just a question of making sure your over 2000fps for expansion. Their website states 1800fps as minimum but I have my doubts. I considered the berger VLD hunting but due to the short distance shots I have experienced I did not want them exploding into bits, I like moose meat so I try and damage as little as possible. Alot of research went into deciding which bullet to put into the PCR SB specifically for moose in dense bush. I think I made the right choice. Next year with some accuracy testing I may work up a 150 and 130g

I'm thinking you will be surprised at how a 150gr - 180gr cup and core bullet will work at the low velocities

If I were to take my PCR after moose within 100 yards I'd load it with 165gr partitions or Accubonds

Back
Top Bottom