Norinco 7.62x39mm 122gr FMJ 20rds red box

Why specifically Soft Point? I've read on a few occasions that ANY non-corrosive rounds shot after corrosive would "clean" the bore. The recommended number of non-corrosive shots would vary from 5 to 10. Personally, I take it with a grain of salt.

Because it's the only definitely not corrosive ammo I have for that caliber. And the only 2 shots is because I am cheap. I always deep clean my Russian guns withing 48 hours of shooting

Quote Originally Posted by 05RAV View Post
Why specifically Soft Point? I've read on a few occasions that ANY non-corrosive rounds shot after corrosive would "clean" the bore. The recommended number of non-corrosive shots would vary from 5 to 10. Personally, I take it with a grain of salt.

Because it's the only definitely not corrosive ammo I have for that caliber. And the only 2 shots is because I am cheap. I always deep clean my Russian guns withing 48 hours of shooting

So, it's just a non-corrosive ammo not necessarily with a soft-point that is required. Originally, I thought that there was some magic in a soft-point round. There are a few more definitely non-corrosive 7.62x39 brands like the PPU or Federal not solely the S&B. They all can be used, right?

This ammo is definitely NOT corrosive, ive shot close to 2k through my wk 181c and no issues whatsoever, on multiple occasions rifle was left without cleaning for extended periods of time and no issues again.
Accuracy wise its about 2-3 moa at 100 yards.
Great ammo definitely when on sale!

People will be looking hard for x39 due to the huge shipment of T81's that just came in.

What about any crates of Corrosive or Non-Corrosive, for those who want to buy in bulk?

This is steel core rigth?

Mild steel… almost the same density as lead. There is a video with Gun Jesus somewhere where he tests out the whole “steel core is armour piercing” debate and debunked it. Lead core causes more “damage” to steel targets compared to mild steel. The cheap steel tends to shatter on impact.

Mild steel… almost the same density as lead. There is a video with Gun Jesus somewhere where he tests out the whole “steel core is armour piercing” debate and debunked it. Lead core causes more “damage” to steel targets compared to mild steel. The cheap steel tends to shatter on impact.

Thanks for the response, I'm just worried that the range I have considered to become a member doesn't allow steel core as it has a pretty clear policy:

"What ammunition is not permitted?
Steel core, steel jacket, tracer, combustible, igniting, or explosive materials are not permitted."

I already have a case of 1440 surplus in anticipation of my T81 arrival, but it looks like any alternative is not any better, they all seem to be either steel core or jacket or both.

Sticks to magnet?

The magnet test is not conclusive, as it would be steel jacketed and still stick to a magnet. But many ranges don't care about that - if they have a policy of no steel core and it sticks to a magnet, they won't let you use it.

That said, I can tell you Norinco red box 7.62x39 is steel core. The technical spec sheet that comes with the cases of 500 of these indicates that explicitly.

The magnet test is not conclusive, as it would be steel jacketed and still stick to a magnet. But many ranges don't care about that - if they have a policy of no steel core and it sticks to a magnet, they won't let you use it.
That said, I can tell you Norinco red box 7.62x39 is steel core. The technical spec sheet that comes with the cases of 500 of these indicates that explicitly.

A bit more complex. The tech spec sheet says: "4.4. The cartridge is composed of copper-coated steel rimless bottle neck case, steel core, lead sheath and copper-coated steel jacket bullet, Berdan primer and 2/1 camphor propellant". The important part is the lead sheath. So, between the steel jacket and a steel core there is lead.
Obviously, the red box is NON-CORROSIVE.

All in all, an old thread resurrected!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, I'm just worried that the range I have considered to become a member doesn't allow steel core as it has a pretty clear policy:

"What ammunition is not permitted?
Steel core, steel jacket, tracer, combustible, igniting, or explosive materials are not permitted."

I already have a case of 1440 surplus in anticipation of my T81 arrival, but it looks like any alternative is not any better, they all seem to be either steel core or jacket or both.

Your range needs get thier head out their butts…

“Who’s damaging the range? It’s not my 338 Lapua because it’s mine. Must be those damned people with them cheap Commie guns!”

Prejudice is strong in the Canadian firearms… “community”.

Anyone ever do a velocity read on these? I had a box that was shooting 2100-2200 FPS out of a 20" SKS. Not sure if it was that batch, or if its all loaded a little light.

A bit more complex. The tech spec sheet says: "4.4. The cartridge is composed of copper-coated steel rimless bottle neck case, steel core, lead sheath and copper-coated steel jacket bullet, Berdan primer and 2/1 camphor propellant". The important part is the lead sheath. So, between the steel jacket and a steel core there is lead.
Obviously, the red box is NON-CORROSIVE.

All in all, an old thread resurrected!

Fair point. Unfortunately I doubt some ranges who have blanket no steel core rules, will care for the technical nuances. They will just use the magnet and say "not allowed".

Back
Top Bottom