Collection of Information

(!)

Rating - 100%
57   0   1
Recently purchased a non-restricted firearm from this merchant in person, just curious about the legality of some of their procedures.

Upon purchasing the non-restricted firearm I was required to provide my PAL ofcourse, but also my Drivers License for some reason. I've never had that happen before, to make things further awkward they seemed to have some sorta book keeping a detailed registry for firearms that they required I sign.

I told them I've never had to do this before, but they were adamant it's a requirement of the RCMP to keep these records. Due to a language barrier there wasn't much I could explain to get thru to anyone, but wondering if this is normal? I don't recall C71 being law yet, so I'd like some clarification here if possible...

So you're saying we cannot purchase a firearm without a drivers license... Hmmmm.
Sounds like a slippery slope.
If you are unfit to drive, you must therefore be unfit to own a gun.
Interesting logic.

I’ve ran into this a few times. Walked away from a sale once due to the collection of information. I will likely only be buying used guns now..... I will never again submit information past a call to the CFO for verification.

There is nothing illegal about it, Since your PAL doesn't show your address, a driver license is their way of verifying the address you gave is the same as the PAL holder, most shops just use the credit card billing address

There is nothing illegal about it, Since your PAL doesn't show your address, a driver license is their way of verifying the address you gave is the same as the PAL holder, most shops just use the credit card billing address

Sighting your ID's I can understand, but writing down detailed sales information which seemed to include serial # etc didn't seem normal to me, item wasn't shipped it was bought in person.

I could be wrong, but to purchase a non-restricted firearm you don't require two pieces of ID's. Just your PAL and as far as I know there isn't a requirement to create a detailed log of what's being sold to whom aka a registry.

Last edited:
Sighting your ID's I can understand, but writing down detailed sales information which seemed to include serial # etc didn't seem normal to me, item wasn't shipped it was bought in person.

Most store still keeps a ledger as a store policy, when the Conservative abolished the LGR most business still kept the practice of keeping a ledger as a way to track inventory, the police or the CFO can't see those ledger without a court order.

Most store still keeps a ledger as a store policy, when the Conservative abolished the LGR most business still kept the practice of keeping a ledger as a way to track inventory, the police or the CFO can't see those ledger without a court order.

And that’s only if the seller or business let’s them know they have one. I don’t think most gun shops would willfully tell anyone they may have kept records.

Sounds like a business practice similar to Bass-Pro and Cabela's. Dvr lic to confirm address assigned to the PAL. If you do not want them to have the info don't buy from them.

Makes sense, only thing that really bothered me about this was the fact that a lot of people in this community fought hard to reverse a law that didn't make sense. Yet here we have businesses that have zero requirement to be doing what they do, it was pushed off on me that it's an RCMP requirement when it really isn't. Just needed clarification.

I have had to submit my DL alongside my PAL for an internet order before. I blacked out all info but my birthdate and photo on my license. I was a bit upset and sent them an email before complying. They stated for new accounts on internet orders they require a DL to make sure the purchaser matches the PAL. This would prevent people from using other's cards for online purchases, so I get it to an extent.

Why would you need to provide your address for an in person purchase?

Shop elsewhere. Canadian Tire, at least in my location, does the same thing. Any ole part time employee could snap a picture of the book and have a list of addresses with firearms. It's sketchy.

Bought a Henry H001 Lever Action 22LR (non restricted) on-line from Cabelas last week. Only had to provide my PAL. Canada Post delivered it to my door in record time too!!!!

The pal is the only ID you need. No point in asking for a second piece of ID. What is this a passport application? I once saw a Canadian tire employee write down the details of a firearm transaction in a giant book, then promptly walked away! Of course he left the book in the open right next to the firearms display. I never purchased a firearm from this location as I didn't want to be included in the easily accessible book of where to steal firearms from.

Sounds like a good way to get yourself robbed. Any loser could swipe the book from the counter and have a priceless log of possible victims.

While you are correct hbean about your PAL not showing your address, everyone should know this.......

I've had a firearms licence for just over 40 years now, when I bought a firearm on-line today from a sponsoring dealer I gave them my PAL # and expiry date. The dealer then punched this info into his computer and voila, he knew my name, my address, my phone number and other pertinent information. So why another dealer would want your DL other than to verify the information that they already have, who knows.

I had no idea that dealers had access to this info so readily. I thought people would like to know this!

Sounds like a business practice similar to Bass-Pro and Cabela's. Dvr lic to confirm address assigned to the PAL. If you do not want them to have the info don't buy from them.

Can’t speak for Bass Pro, but Cabela’s does not need driver’s licenses for firearms. I don’t see any reason why anyone needs a driver’s license if you have a valid PAL.

Sounds like a good way to get yourself robbed. Any loser could swipe the book from the counter and have a priceless log of possible victims.

This is one of the points I used when writing to Senators about C-71. The bill requires licensed dealers to keep a ledger of transactions, but doesn't apply any kind of secure storage standard to that data. Like, they should at least demand that it be treated the same as the gov't treats "Protected B" data... or not keep it at all.

Back
Top Bottom