18.6 inch AR barrels with integrated muzzle brake/flash hider

apexanimal

CGN Regular
Rating - 99%
101   1   1
Hey guys i figured id throw this out there because you always take customer advice to heart (which we really appreciate); have you considered getting some AR barrels made that are 18.6" but include integrated muzzle brakes/flash hiders (i.e. machined directly into the barrel)?

An example of this would be the factory barrel on the AR 180b, or the FAXON barrels that have the integrated flash hider (pictured). This essentially allows you to save the length youd have to give up by adding one of those devices, while maintaining the 18.5" minimum length barrel required for a rifle to be Non Restricted.

I think if you did something similar theyd sell like hot cakes. Just a suggestion and thanks for your time/great products and customer service.
Examples:
https://ibb.co/cDczWk3
https://ibb.co/QHG5BNY

Last edited:
Interested.

Tried, IBI and MRA already and no dice!

Let’s keep it 18.6” Including muzzle device tho.

Just an example here too.

5934FA48-78EA-4C0D-B064-7D1A2FE36EB6.jpeg

Attachments

• 5934FA48-78EA-4C0D-B064-7D1A2FE36EB6.jpeg
    5934FA48-78EA-4C0D-B064-7D1A2FE36EB6.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 3,399
Unfortunately in Canada barrel length goes from breach to the end of the rifling ,this goes back to when they were importing m1carbines with 16 inch barrels and they tried welding on 2.5 inch flashhiders to make it 18.5 inches,the rcmp quickly said nope

Unfortunately in Canada barrel length goes from breach to the end of the rifling ,this goes back to when they were importing m1carbines with 16 inch barrels and they tried welding on 2.5 inch flashhiders to make it 18.5 inches,the rcmp quickly said nope

Ahh welding an insert yes but not if the muzzle device is part of the barrel or built with the barrel in mind.

The rifling doesn’t matter as long the barrel, in one piece is a total of 18.55 inches or more.

Interesting, I had a NR ACR with a flash hider machined into the barrel. Rifling ended at 16.5 inches and RCMP approved it for NR status. I even emailed them to confirm and I got a response saying "if it was machined in one piece, then it is fine as long as the overall length of the barrel was 18.5" (which mine was 19" with flash hider).

What about having a really deeply counterbored crown, to act as a built-in linear compensator?

That you can’t and was explained to by Ian from Herron Arms as you won’t be able to insert the gas block, depending on the diameter of the barrel I.e. .750 or .950. So the integrated device cannot be more than those and the way he does it is an illusion, the end of the barrel is like a pencil profile.

Interesting, I had a NR ACR with a flash hider machined into the barrel. Rifling ended at 16.5 inches and RCMP approved it for NR status. I even emailed them to confirm and I got a response saying "if it was machined in one piece, then it is fine as long as the overall length of the barrel was 18.5" (which mine was 19" with flash hider).

I tried Herron and is a bit difficult and super expensive so I passed. (Almost like he only does top tier barrel blanks from scratch and the NR thing is added in his cost). I offered to send him a bull 20” barrel but alas he didn’t want to do it. Just wanted to save a lot of money by a prefixed AR10 barrel.

However if TNA did a few run of the mill on these, price could be very appealing.

What about 18.5" barrels with a sort of "Vang Comp" (to borrow from the shotgun world) for rifles. Port the end of the barrel like a flash hider or compensator. Mill the outside near the muzzle so it looks like a flash hider or compensator. It would be a lot of precision drilling mind you. If you did that process BEFORE cutting the rifling, it wouldn't mess up the rifle grooves near the muzzle.

Remington did something like that with their Toblerone shaped barrels on the 700 VTR.

Last edited:
Another thought; Faxon has also made custom 18.6 barrels for Canada in the past, maybe theyd even do a run of custom 18.6 barrels in the style of their 16 inch barrels w/ integral muzzle devices.

What about 18.5" barrels with a sort of "Vang Comp" (to borrow from the shotgun world) for rifles. Port the end of the barrel like a flash hider or compensator. Mill the outside near the muzzle so it looks like a flash hider or compensator. It would be a lot of precision drilling mind you. If you did that process BEFORE cutting the rifling, it wouldn't mess up the rifle grooves near the muzzle.

Remington did something like that with their Toblerone shaped barrels on the 700 VTR.

The rifling doesn't go to the end of the bore on the Rem VTR. The barrel is bored out larger for the portion that has the top ports.

But yes it still counts towards the barrels overall length.

No, it doesn't have to include rifling. The example you cite is adding a piece to the barrel, not having a continuous barrel to the end of an integrated comp or flash suppressor.

Herron Arms did barrels exactly like the OP is requesting and they are perfectly legal.

So, what if the rifling continues into it, but gradually increases in diameter? The opposite of choke, essentially.

Shotguns?

Welding on isnt the same as manufactured as.

This is not at all true. If length of rifling is what mattered, then putting a caliber adapter in my shotgun would convert it from a 30" non-restricted to a 2.5" prohibited firearm. And what would smoothbore long guns be considered?

Barrel length is muzzle to breechface.

Another thought; Faxon has also made custom 18.6 barrels for Canada in the past, maybe theyd even do a run of custom 18.6 barrels in the style of their 16 inch barrels w/ integral muzzle devices.

I have thought about this in the past as well. I'm not a 100% sure if the Faxon barrels arre 'integral' in the Canadian sense or in the US sense with pined/welded muzzle devices.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...barrels-flash-hiders-muzzle-brakes-shot-2017/

But realistically with this type of thing your best bet is to save yourself a lot of hassle, time and frustration and just get a custom one made in Canada. Trying to group buy or convince a manufacturer to build something like this is near pointless. You might have 20 people interested, and when realistic custom pricing comes out only 5 will pony up the cash, so most manufacturers won't touch this, not worth their time.

Back
Top Bottom