5/10 Type 81 Magazine Possible

Ustauk

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible for Tactical Imports to either work with their Chinese factory partner or a Canadian magazine manufacturer like Cross Industries to make a 10 round body pinned to 5 round magazine for the Type 81? I know you can modify AK magazines, but they will not work with the last round bolt open ability of the Type 81. The magazine would be useful in prone or target shooting where the banana magazine would get in the way, having either the rifle or especially the LMG function more like an SKS in the prone position. This would also compliment an optic mount nicely. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Many people have adapted AK mags to fit.

I would suggest adapting an AK short mag.

Cheers!

Mem

I already mentioned modifying short AK magazines in my first post. But are they commonly available? And is the Type 81 market now big enough to provide enough customers who would pay have to one for their firearm that would give them the bolt hole open and save them the trouble of modding a magazine?

Also, would having a simplified version of a Cross Mag coupler for two 5/10 Type 81 magazines be useful and have a market? Or would 5/15 be better for a coupled magazine, to fit a standard red rifle ammo vest? Would 5/15 allow enough clearance for prone/bench shooting?

Last edited:
Type 81 magazine professionally shorten 20/5
I have type 81 magazines shorten from 30 rounds to approx 20, of course pinned to 5 rounds.

these are altered by a retired machinist. they are shorten from the bottom and look fantastic.

people alter AK47 mags to fit the type 81 and turn out butchering them.

$100 each

$65 if you supply your mag for alteration.

Can't access the link, is that a Type 81 Magazine, or a modded or unmodded AK magazine?

I have type 81 magazines shorten from 30 rounds to approx 20, of course pinned to 5 rounds.

these are altered by a retired machinist. they are shorten from the bottom and look fantastic.

$100 each

$100 each

Cool, thanks for the info!

Someone on my Reddit thread who also saw this post noted I underestimated the development costs versus the number of Type 81s sold and that not enough Type 81s were sold to finance the development costs for a magazine.

Can an AK magazine modified to work in a Type 81 also be used in an AK (outside of Canada), a M10X or an SKS-D? Could Cross Industries make a coupled AK 10, 15, or 20 round magazine they could market in magazine size limited states in the US or in Europe, which would also be built with the appropriate slot to also be compatible with the Type 81 and pinned to five rounds for sale in Canada? I know they've marketed there 556 magazines in both Europe and the states previously, even having been reviewed on US and German YouTube channels. You would lose the bolt-hold open , but having the coupled magazines would also be useful, and the cost of the AK/M10x/Type 81 Cross Magazine would hopefully be comparable to the 556 ones available when subsidized by the US and European sales.

Last edited:
Pmags work with a bit of Dremel. Easier than modding a steel mag.
2019-02-04 20.15.19.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-02-04 20.15.19.jpg
    2019-02-04 20.15.19.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 979
If I remember correctly they made a factory 5rd type 81 mag tactical imports sold the one they had at the Boxing Day blowout or whatever that was before for like $80 I think and it was explained that more weren’t made cuz of some retooling for such a small order wasn’t worth it or something or it was gonna cost more to get an order of them then us just modding small ak mags instead. But if you can find those 5rd sks d mags around they look and work great in the type 81 once modded.

$100 each

i have a few ak mags altered but not butchered so there is more than a way to do this ...

If I remember correctly they made a factory 5rd type 81 mag tactical imports sold the one they had at the Boxing Day blowout or whatever that was before for like $80 I think and it was explained that more weren’t made cuz of some retooling for such a small order wasn’t worth it or something or it was gonna cost more to get an order of them then us just modding small ak mags instead. But if you can find those 5rd sks d mags around they look and work great in the type 81 once modded.

seems they had only one kind like a prototype more than a run.

Someone on my Reddit thread who also saw this post noted I underestimated the development costs versus the number of Type 81s sold and that not enough Type 81s were sold to finance the development costs for a magazine.

Can an AK magazine modified to work in a Type 81 also be used in an AK (outside of Canada), a M10X or an SKS-D? Could Cross Industries make a coupled AK 10, 15, or 20 round magazine they could market in magazine size limited states in the US or in Europe, which would also be built with the appropriate slot to also be compatible with the Type 81 and pinned to five rounds for sale in Canada? I know they've marketed there 556 magazines in both Europe and the states previously, even having been reviewed on US and German YouTube channels. You would lose the bolt-hold open , but having the coupled magazines would also be useful, and the cost of the AK/M10x/Type 81 Cross Magazine would hopefully be comparable to the 556 ones available when subsidized by the US and European sales.

ak47 mag modified are working in a very kind of tools: ak47, sks-d and kd and t81, that is right for 5,10 and 20 rounds to be noted that i did not shoot in canada an ak47 to check but it feed well. if someone as valmet in 7.62x39 we can try as well ...
some ak47 are picky with mags. funny the t81 is as well ...

Back
Top Bottom