Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: black box customs undeclared shady business policy

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vewdu View Post
    This. Too many clowns think that PAL number is some kind of Top Secret document.
    PALs are PII, and if you're collecting PII as a business, for the love of god, put a Privacy Policy on your website.

First, both service providers of BBC's website (Squarespace & Shopify) require a public Privacy Policy as a condition of using their service. Second, in Ontario, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act requires it as a matter of law.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, you let your customer's know how you're using their information, how long you're keeping it for, and how it will be safeguarded. I.e., if your using my PAL for purchase verification, you should be able to tell me you're destroying that information as soon as payment clears.

Also, BBC needs to be careful with Shopify, since they're definitely in breach of the shopify acceptable use policy since they're selling "certain parts" including flash suppressors, and threaded barrels for semi-automatic firearms and "certain firearms" which includes anything semi-auto with a threaded barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    Hence I said, wait before commenting and egging BBC as every story usually have two sides. Let BBC respond
    At minimum, BBC should respond with an adequate Privacy Policy.
    Last edited by Botts; 04-06-2022 at 08:31 PM.

BANNED
    The shady part is not putting it on your website under the disclaimer section thereby wasting peoples time. you're free to have whatever policy you lkike but you should post it somewhere, not take money than ask after the fact.

I will not show my firearms license unless I am purchasing ammunition or a firearm. Simple as that, if that is their policy I'd take my business elsewhere, lots of dealers happy to take my money without any extra hassle.
    Collector of old junk

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by combatshotgun View Post
    I called and said I want to cancel the order because of the email i received, they said "so you don't want to provide your pal?" I said no cancel it and they said ok.
    I certainly wouldnt call it shady , I might call that just plain stupid on their part......you bet
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Vewdu View Post
    This. Too many clowns think that PAL number is some kind of Top Secret document. It's a way to ensure #1 that your customer is legit and #2 prevent you from being held liable in the case they are building ghost guns, or whatever else. We all know at this point the government bends and changes laws when they feel like to suit their needs.

Black box is one of the very few gun companies in Canada that I can say without a shadow of doubt, I whole heartedly trust, both in service and craftsmanship. Get real OP.
    Double this.

I'm a long-time customer of blackbox customs and have had nothing but positive experiences with the company. The staff are always friendly and professional and their work is quality and done in a timely manner.

Black box is a great company and would never hesitate to use them!!
    Where a rescue team,not assassins!!

Business Member Black Box Customs's Avatar
    It’s unfortunate that some members of our own Canadian firearms community are prepared to turn their backs and throw a long time, local firearms business under the bus without first having any proper context or background from the business itself. A few members of that community have even gone so far as to accuse us of not supporting the firearms community, which is, with respect, ridiculous. Our company has taken the risk of expanding our business to further grow our operation during some of the most difficult times to be in this industry, all with the goal of offering more and better products and services with faster delivery times. Moreover, we have always put quality and customer service ahead of everything else since we started our business some 8 years ago. When there are already continuous and persistent attacks on the Canadian firearms industry from an uninformed government, it is unfortunate when we see examples of the same sort of approach from some of our consumers; perhaps this is why our community can appear to be so disjointed and oftentimes focused on the wrong area.

In any event, we would like to directly address and respond to some negative online chatter that has arisen today.

Although it is true that there are no laws in Canada requiring a PAL for parts purchases, over the last 6 months we have had an overwhelming amount of ill-intentioned people purchasing specific parts that are quite obviously being used to complete 3D printed firearms. We turn away almost $10,000-15,000/month in potential fraudulent webstore and showroom purchases, hence we have established a one time PAL request now to legitimize an account and to ensure the purchases are genuine. The amount of time we've been devoting to addressing fraudulent purchases and the investigations launched by law enforcement that follow them over what is usually a $20 part has gotten out of hand and is starting to hinder our ability to properly serve our customers.

Due to our client base (LE/MIL and Licensed PAL holders) and the overhead of investigation costs we've incurred over the last 6 months, we have implemented a store policy whereby we do our due diligence and reduce as much fraudulent and illegal orders as possible. We are a specialized shop and only care to service PAL holding customers when they are purchasing firearm parts. Our industry is already under an immense level of government and public scrutiny; we have no interest in supporting the criminal element who create a larger negative spotlight on law abiding gun owners.

This policy is still new to us and is evolving; we do appreciate and indeed encourage constructive feedback from our customers, and moving forward we will produce a clearly worded policy update on our website. To those of you who disagree with this approach, we apologize. However, like it or not, as a responsible nationally recognized firearms business, we must take precautions which in the end will serve to strengthen our community by demonstrating a professional approach to the sales of firearms and their parts.

Milling | Stippling | Cerakote Certified | Firearms Retail | Part Retail | Parts Manufacturing
    www.BlackBoxCustoms.com
    sales@blackboxcustoms.com
    Phone: (403) 470-8802

#8, 4420-75 Ave S.E.
    Calgary, AB
    T2C 2H8
    SHOWROOM: M-F 9-7 / SAT 10-5

Quote Originally Posted by Botts View Post
    PALs are PII, and if you're collecting PII as a business, for the love of god, put a Privacy Policy on your website.

First, both service providers of BBC's website (Squarespace & Shopify) require a public Privacy Policy as a condition of using their service. Second, in Ontario, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act requires it as a matter of law.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, you let your customer's know how you're using their information, how long you're keeping it for, and how it will be safeguarded. I.e., if your using my PAL for purchase verification, you should be able to tell me you're destroying that information as soon as payment clears.

Also, BBC needs to be careful with Shopify, since they're definitely in breach of the shopify acceptable use policy since they're selling "certain parts" including flash suppressors, and threaded barrels for semi-automatic firearms and "certain firearms" which includes anything semi-auto with a threaded barrel.

At minimum, BBC should respond with an adequate Privacy Policy.
    These are all very reasonable points and some that we have already addressed in the past, however for the ones that haven't we will be address them this week. Thank you for your constructive criticism.

Milling | Stippling | Cerakote Certified | Firearms Retail | Part Retail | Parts Manufacturing
    www.BlackBoxCustoms.com

#8, 4420-75 Ave S.E.
    Calgary, AB
    T2C 2H8

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.awsome View Post
    Black box is a great company and would never hesitate to use them!!
    We also want to thank everyone that understands where we're coming from and giving us the benefit of the doubt. We know this policy is a unpopular one, however we will continue to do our best to support the Canadian firearms community and we look forward to working with you in the future.

www.BlackBoxCustoms.com

#8, 4420-75 Ave S.E.
    Calgary, AB
    T2C 2H8

Quote Originally Posted by Black Box Customs View Post
    It’s unfortunate that some members of our own Canadian firearms community are prepared to turn their backs and throw a long time, local firearms business under the bus without first having any proper context or background from the business itself. A few members of that community have even gone so far as to accuse us of not supporting the firearms community, which is, with respect, ridiculous. Our company has taken the risk of expanding our business to further grow our operation during some of the most difficult times to be in this industry, all with the goal of offering more and better products and services with faster delivery times. Moreover, we have always put quality and customer service ahead of everything else since we started our business some 8 years ago. When there are already continuous and persistent attacks on the Canadian firearms industry from an uninformed government, it is unfortunate when we see examples of the same sort of approach from some of our consumers; perhaps this is why our community can appear to be so disjointed and oftentimes focused on the wrong area.

In any event, we would like to directly address and respond to some negative online chatter that has arisen today.

Although it is true that there are no laws in Canada requiring a PAL for parts purchases, over the last 6 months we have had an overwhelming amount of ill-intentioned people purchasing specific parts that are quite obviously being used to complete 3D printed firearms. We turn away almost $10,000-15,000/month in potential fraudulent webstore and showroom purchases, hence we have established a one time PAL request now to legitimize an account and to ensure the purchases are genuine. The amount of time we've been devoting to addressing fraudulent purchases and the investigations launched by law enforcement that follow them over what is usually a $20 part has gotten out of hand and is starting to hinder our ability to properly serve our customers.

Due to our client base (LE/MIL and Licensed PAL holders) and the overhead of investigation costs we've incurred over the last 6 months, we have implemented a store policy whereby we do our due diligence and reduce as much fraudulent and illegal orders as possible. We are a specialized shop and only care to service PAL holding customers when they are purchasing firearm parts. Our industry is already under an immense level of government and public scrutiny; we have no interest in supporting the criminal element who create a larger negative spotlight on law abiding gun owners.

This policy is still new to us and is evolving; we do appreciate and indeed encourage constructive feedback from our customers, and moving forward we will produce a clearly worded policy update on our website. To those of you who disagree with this approach, we apologize. However, like it or not, as a responsible nationally recognized firearms business, we must take precautions which in the end will serve to strengthen our community by demonstrating a professional approach to the sales of firearms and their parts.
    This forum NEEDS a LIKE button!