SHOT SHOW 2013: Intrepid RAS-12 AR-12 tactical shotgun

tootall

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
This is a new 12 gauge upper conversion for the AR-10 system form Intrepid, of Salt Lake City, UT. www.intrepidts.com

Although it is referred to as a 12 gauge, it is NOT the same rimmed 12 ga shell that we are all familiar with. It uses a new proprietary 12 gauge diameter round that has a rebated rimless round. The case is molded entirely from plastic. This allows for trouble free feeding, no worries of a rim hanging up on the rim of the shell below. (Lee-Enfield users will understand this.) It also eliminates needing a very curved magazine to accommodate all those rims.
DSC_5490.jpg

DSC_5493.jpg

DSC_5492.jpg

DSC_5495.jpg

I specifically asked about having a gun with no ammo if the company was to fold, or the project was dropped. The spokesman said that they are in talks right now with a major US ammo maker to produce this new cartridge for Intrepid. Interestingly, it was the (unnamed) ammo maker that first approached Intrepid, not the other way around.

The new round is carried in an 8 round mag (8+1 in the tube) that perfectly fits a SR-25 standard magwell. As well as the 8 rounder, there is a 3+1 for big game hunting, and a 2+1 for waterfowl hunting. They are also planning on releasing a rifled slug barrel and a choke barrel soon.
A .410 and a 20 ga version is planned for the AR-15 lower within a year.

I realise that as long as the AR series remains RESTRICTED in Canada, this greatly limits its usefulness and desirability here. But it is nice to keep aware of what is out there.
No word on a Canadian importer yet.
Retail expected to be ~$1900 US.

Last edited:
That is AWESOME shotgun technology! Nice to see development in cartridges. This definitely depicts the future of shotguns...oh and by the way did i mention I WANT ONE!

I wonder if they raised the pressure limit while they were at it?

Among other benefits, a higher operating pressure makes for a cleaner powder burn, which is a big plus with gas operated arms.

I wonder if we showed this to a certain group, next to the mka akdal 1919, if they would understand the difference between a variant-having compatible parts, and something having the same general look, with no major compatibility.

Now I'm getting excited to think of what other shot guns will be manufactured to use this new round. In a couple of years there should be some sweet non restricted shot guns coming to market. :dancingbanana:

I wonder if we showed this to a certain group, next to the mka akdal 1919, if they would understand the difference between a variant-having compatible parts, and something having the same general look, with no major compatibility.

I know a certain group who would find this a variant in a split of a sec.

Back
Top Bottom