Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Ontario

Hello, I'm interested in starting hunting for upland game, mostly birds. I don't really know where to start. I have my small game licence. I live in the Hamilton area, but i'm willing to drive a bit. Anyone willing to go out with me and show me the ropes? I'm very attentive and learn quickly. I'd very much appreciate some help. Thanks very much!

Anyone in the windsor area wanna get together and shoot? I'm newb just got my PAL and own a 10/22 and thinking about ordering a kel tec sub 2000 since we only have an indoor range here with 1 rifle booth. Will split on ammo of course. Would love to shoot a glock 17 or an XD.

Group needs people for Deer hunt in 90b controlled, December hunt, shotgun, muzzleloader. (we are short people this year, have the spots, need a couple blockers/pushers).
You will have already registered for the control deer hunt in August.
If you want to join our gang, you should have a shotgun. You need to be ready everyday, we meet up in the morning. Any age welcome, (old, young, just a willingness to be part of a group, no bad attitude).
Area is east of Tillsonburg. You need valid licences. Feel free to contact me.

Hey guys,
i am from Nobelton (King City), and am in the process of joining Target and either Barrie Gun Club OR Guelph. However, i jumped the gun and bought an m305, rem 700 .308, cz 858, and an sks among other fun stuff. I would really like to get out there and fire these rifles before my Nov 12 club course and who know whatever else goes into gaining full range access. if anyone is willing to let me in on some crown land they use for target shooting/plinking, OR know a club that will allow me to shoot on a guest pass or pay by the day system, i would be forever grateful.
cheers

i have just gotten off of the phone with gueloh, peterborough and minden MNR offices. None could offer any helpo as to where i can discharge a firearm for purposes other than hunting, or WHEN.

somone please help - is this a futile search? must i either hunt or wait for club access?

If you're talking about target shooting on Crown land, would that not be exactly the same as hunting except you don't need a hunting certification/tags? If you're not breaking any no-discharge laws and you're observing all proper "hunting" safety precautions, so long as you identify your target and are sure all areas around it are clear, what's the difference?

Hopefully someone will chime in here, because I too would like to (eventually) target-shoot beyond 200 yards.

Rmill, contact the municipalities (or just check their websites) in the areas you would like to shoot to find out what their bylaws are regarding discharging firearms.Once you've found out where the bylaws allow you to shoot you need to find public land or someone with a property who will allow you to shoot on their land.

MNR doesn't see finding you a place to shoot as a part of their mandate.

Silverdale members

I joined Silverdale back in the summer but was a little overwhelmed with work and getting there hasn't been possible. Obtained my PAL a few years back when dad decided he had no further need for his 22s with his Alzheimer's. Then had a friend donate a Mossberg 12 ga. and Stevenson 410/22 this past summer as he had grandkids around and his son-in-law was concerned.

I've purchased Rem 870 12 ga., Tikka T3 30-06 and SKS recently but haven't had a chance to try any of them yet.

If there is a weekend that a knowledgeable club member might put up with a newbie at the range to get the basics down, I'd appreciate it. I have used firearms in the past but never at a range.

Too many brand new and untested firearms in the house. It's embarrassing.

It really needs to be remedied.

Having trouble with this crown land thing!
BEST KEPT SECRET EVER!!!

I am located in the god for saken GTA (New to the area, not guns! )

Just wondering on the "Crown Land Use Policy Atlas" if the beige "General Use Area" means I would be allowed to shoot on this land providing I check with municipality to ensure there is no bylaw against discharging a fire arm in that area?

can anyone shed light on this? I'm sure it will help alot of us!

Call your local municipality (or the municipality in which that Crown Land is) and ask about firearms discharge bylaws. Light will be shed.

Thanks awndray, just wanted to make sure those are the area's i'm supposed to be looking for on that map.

Also if there is anyone else in the area that is willing to meet up or go out shooting with me I'd be more than greatful!

New to the Southern Ontario area and just cant for the life of me figure anything out here!

I'll provide beer!!

inbox me :)

If all goes as planned I should get approved this week. Since no one in my family is into hunting or firearms I don't know where to start. If there is anyone in the Hamilton area who knows of some property to hunt on I would appreciate it.

Thanx

28 year old male, SW of Barrie looking to meet a mentor that would show me the ropes. Looking to hunt just about anything. I know people with land, can shoot a rifle and bow quite well but don know how to make things happen.

No one in the family hunts. Except my passed grandfather who left me his guns but not the knowledge. If anyone would like to put up with a newb send me a PM.

I'm gonna get out to silverdale either this Saturday or the next. Going to head down alone for my first time. I find it's better to go alone to things at first, figure it all out and then go as a group. After my first time I'm pretty open to the idea of carpooling. My parent's Buick's trunk is a little tight but it seats 5. I can only borrow it on weekends, gas ain't free and it's a bit of a pain to go to my parents house to pick it up and drop it off. My mom's an anti so I have to come back to Toronto, drop-off my guns, drop off the car at my parents and bus it back home.

I've taken my dad out shooting a couple times but, he's not allowed to keep any guns "under their roof" or get his license or own anything really.
Hell, I had to move out to get mine!

Looking for a mentor (and a club to join) for the New Year, after the LGR, hopefully not too far from the GTA (fingers crossed) and I'm realistically only available to shoot on Sundays. Looking at getting into rimfire rifle for now, just want to focus on basic marksmanship.

I went to Silverdale yesterday, I highly recommend the place.
What a great afternoon. The gong on range 4 is great.
I love how you can park right beside whichever range you're on so you can hop into the car to warm up or for a smoke every so often.
One thing though: If you're following gps or google maps directions DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT follow Snyder rd. the whole way! At the end it becomes a pair of ruts through a wooded area that is not traversible by anything less than a 4x4 and even then it's not a good idea this time of year. You can hear the reports off in the distance by the time you hit this section. I came through Hamilton along the QEW from Toronto btw.

@jeringate: I'm pretty much down to go any Saturday. Shoot me a PM a week or so ahead of time with one you'd like to go on and we'll see if our schedule's collide.
Same to just about anyone, you've got some guns, I've got some guns, we can half the $30 or so in gas my Buick eats going there and back.
Trunk/backseat space isn't really an issue but, heavy snow could be. Getting to try out each other's toys (especially ones I or you maybe haven't tried before) is also an option.
Earliest I'd be going back down could be the 31st during the day IF they're open.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom