Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why 90 Days for Off Topic?

CGN Regular

Why 90 Days for Off Topic?

Hi. I'm callee, i've been here on the forum for about a month and a half.

Yesterday I noticed again something i've seen before: a good thread appeared to disappear!

It was a thread on the latest OPP shooting.

I was following it, because it seems obvious to me that, regardless of what the facts of the case end up being, the current government will use it to support their gun control narrative.

But then the thread disappeared.

I searched for it, but there were no results.

Then someone made a new thread.

I even posted in the new thread asking "what happened to the old thread?"

Someone replied that the old thread was still alive and well in the general news forum.

Then a mod locked the new thread.

So I searched again for the old thread. No results.

Then I looked manually through the forum index trying to find this "general news" forum. I found nothing.

The closest I could find was the off topic forum. I assume the "general news" forum must be in the "off topic" section, and I assume the OPP thread is there. But I can't say for sure because when I click on that, i'm told I have to apply for access.

But when I click on "how to apply for access" it tells me that I cannot apply for access till I have been a member for 90 days! If I apply before 90 days, my application will be rejected and I wont even be notified.

So my newbie question is why that rule is?

What is the rationale behind that?

I already went through the whole application process to join the forum. My first so-many-points all were auto-moderated just to make sure I wasn't a robot. So I think i've proved that i'm not a robot.

So why 90 days?

Was there some kind of crazy abuse happening by some new member in the past? I can't imagine what that could be, but even if they did, why am I being punished for something some other new member did in the past? Don't we get enough of that kind of thinking (punish a whole innocent group because of the bad behaviour of one or two people) from the current liberal government?

All I know now is that there was a good thread on a subject that, frankly, I don't think should be considered "off topic" to guns, but now I can't even read the thread let alone post, and won't be able to for another month and a half yet.

If someone can explain to me how that is fair, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

It likely does not conform to the posting compliance..its not personal, there are 1'000's of member here. They have to minimize some commentary to not attract the ire of the Liberals Internet Nazi's & other censorship zealots. There used to be a website called Bestgore that posted videos of the murder of that guy that was chopped up in a garage years ago and the site owner was charged by the RCMP. Anything right now regarding "guns" and "psycho murderers" is very sensitive. I am on a number of gun forums and this one is probably the best as far as allowing most freedom and its Canadian at least. Just move on and forget it.

Because the OT can be the wild west, and tempers can be had.

Its nothing personal.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Super GunNutz
    You need at least 90 days to build up your tolerance levels.. lol

CGN Regular
    Ok, so if someone goes into OT and loses their temper, why not just punish that person?

Right now what I hear you saying is that all new members are being penalised because of the poor tempers of a few.

Punishing the whole group because of the actions of a few.

It doesn't seem fair, and it sure isn't welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by 45C View Post
    You need at least 90 days to build up your tolerance levels.. lol
    Ok that made me laugh.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CosmiC10R's Avatar
    Be careful what you wish for.... lol
    It's not about money.... It's about sending a message...
    Member - NRA (Bloomie made me do it ) - CCFR - NFA - CPC
    Juster - "I came to CGN for the firearms information, but stayed for the supportive mental health ecosystem"

Quote Originally Posted by Callee View Post
    Ok, so if someone goes into OT and loses their temper, why not just punish that person?

Right now what I hear you saying is that all new members are being penalised because of the poor tempers of a few.

Punishing the whole group because of the actions of a few.

It doesn't seem fair, and it sure isn't welcoming.
    Sounds like you are taking these rules personal. This site been around for over 20 years. We seen it all and reasons to the hoops. This site has alot of liberal trolls. Members that join, just to stir the pot. In 20 years newbies come and go. Wait till you have to apply to the EE.

OT is seperate. News Digest Usergroup is the group you are looking for, under permission groups in your profile.

Could read the FAQ. There is no 90 day requirement for that group. Only OT.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ewsdigestrules
    Last edited by OkayShooter; 12-29-2022 at 07:09 PM.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

I don’t know if it’s related, but a few months ago there was a guy who got banned and re-joined under similar names multiple times a day and spammed the living bejesus out of the forum over and over and over. The mods couldn’t keep up with him he was so prolific (and dedicated). So maybe the 90 days came out of that episode.

The OT is not for the feint of heart though, just sayin’…

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    Sounds like you are taking these rules personal. This site been around for over 20 years. We seen it all and reasons to the hoops. This site has alot of liberal trolls. Members that join, just to stir the pot. In 20 years newbies come and go. Wait till you have to apply to the EE.

OT is seperate. News Digest Usergroup is the group you are looking for, under permission groups in your profile.

Could read the FAQ. There is no 90 day requirement for that group. Only OT.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ewsdigestrules
    Thanks for that! I've read rhose rules twice now, but somehow missed that. I joined the news group like you said, and sure enough there is the thread. Thanks for the help.

I will push back on you though on the idea of "taking it personally" .

In my experience, phrases like "don't take it personally" are usually said by the people not affected by a decision, and usually said to the people who are affected. It's easy to say "don't take it personally" when it doesn't affect you! To the person who is affected though, I mean, they are literally the person being affected, so i'm honestly not sure how else they could take it.

There's another thread right now where someone asks if you'd buy a gun on the C21 list. I replied that I would. I said i'm generally a rule follower, but I have trouble with rules that don't make obvious sense, or rules that make things harder with no obvious bennefit.

I'm open to being corrected, but so far this 90 day rule seems to be one of those. I haven't yet seen any reason for it. I've seen a few reasons why it should apply to this or that other jerkface, but so far no reason why it should apply to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast