10 mm

Most commercial loadings of 10mm, are not full power.

I'm sure one of the members of the 10mm club will be along shortly, they'll know which ones are the good ones. But more than likely, 10mm is a reloaders caliber.
 
I've shot 10s for a long time - since the round was introduced, pretty well. In my experience it's about as high pressure as any round that's out there - some of the early ammo, especially Norma, ranged from maximum to too-damn-hot, right off the shelf.

It's an easy round to load too hot and beat a good gun to death - not to mention maybe getting face full of shrapnel. Be careful. I've never seen the benefit in loading to maximum in the first place. If you want more velocity or a 'bigger bang', buy a bigger gun.
 
No one is talking about loading to dangerous pressures:rolleyes:. Norma ammo was not too hot. Probably the first time I have ever read that... There is not a single offering available on the shelf in Canada that uses the 10mm cartridge to it's original specs. Certainly a reloader's cartridge.

If you want to learn about 10mm from people who actually know what they are talking about visit the "10 ring" at glocktalk.com or do a simple Google search. There a couple decent 10mm dedicated site out there.
 
Is there any truth to the rumor that they "water" down 10mm ammo" if so which brands thx for the info
It's not a rumor, it's just the way it is. Federal, Remington, all the brands readily available in Canada feel like slightly hotter .40s. I've heard that Winchester's Silvertip loads are up there, but I've never seen any for sale in my neck of the woods.

In the States, plenty of ammo manufacturers, like Buffalo Bore for example, load 10mm to original specs, but they're not available here.

I've never seen the benefit in loading to maximum in the first place. If you want more velocity or a 'bigger bang', buy a bigger gun.
Not sure what to think of this... What benefit is there shooting .44Mags over .22LRs? There's no benefit in shooting anything at all, since the vast majority of Canadian handgun owners are hobby shooters anyway... The point of loading hot (to spec) 10mm is to put a big grin on my face, no more, no less. Shooting the ballistic equivalent of a .41Mag in a 1911 is beneficial to my health and well-being as a person.
 
Not sure what to think of this... What benefit is there shooting .44Mags over .22LRs? There's no benefit in shooting anything at all, since the vast majority of Canadian handgun owners are hobby shooters anyway... The point of loading hot (to spec) 10mm is to put a big grin on my face, no more, no less. Shooting the ballistic equivalent of a .41Mag in a 1911 is beneficial to my health and well-being as a person.

:agree:
Very well said. I don't shoot 10mm, yet, but if shooting top loads wasn't important, I wouldn't need H110 for my 44mag.

If you don't like 10mm, do what the FBI did, and shoot 40 short and weak. 10mm is not for everyone, or even most people. Those who like it, like it alot ;)
 
"...Norma ammo was not too hot..." Agreed. Shot a Colt Delta Elite, using Norma ammo, when they both were new, courtesy of a Colt sales rep, at a Sudbury shoot, long ago. The ammo was hotter than a factory .45 ACP round, but not ugly to shoot. Like a hot 230 grain jacketed .45.
The rep(absolutely top notch guys. Sudbury wasn't the only place I got to shoot Colt factory firearms courtesy of a Colt sales rep. Shot an M16K, SMG version of the M16, at Second Chance, long ago.) knew the new pistol wasn't going to compete with a .45, but he provided the pistol and the ammo. Norma was the only game then.
"...not full power..." By what standards?
PGM449, 10mm ammo isn't exactly easy to get and not cheap when you do.
 
Winchester SilverTips are decent for factory loads, although the quality was quite spotty in the last several lots that have made it north. I have purchased close to 500 rounds from the three local gun shops. While the SilverTips average 1250-1388 ft/s in my G29, I found 6 rounds with enough weight difference from the 'average' that I refused to fire them.

All other factory loaded 10mm that I have tried has proven anemic, and not worth the cost.

Regarding the Norma original rounds being 'too hot', the issue of pistol stress and parts breakage did not lie with the ammunition, the fault was very clearly attributable to Colt with the introduction of the Delta Elite in 10mm. Colt simply rechambered a pistol designed for the 18,000psi 45acp to fire the 10mm round operating at 37,500psi (designed to withstand 50,000psi). Little wonder why the 45 pistol could not withstand pressures over double those for which it was designed beyond 1,000 rounds.

I fire 190gn bullets in a Storm Lake 106mm barrel (tight fully supported chamber) in my G29 at 1,400ft/s on a regular basis in addition to the 135gn bullets operating at 1,800ft/s. Through many hundreds of rounds, I have noticed no ill effects.
 
I have yet to fire a Silvertip over the chrony that broke 1100 fps. I have not been more disappointed than I have with Winchester 175grn Silvertips. Squibs are not cool,especially in a "personal protection" load.
 
Last edited:
Hey I want to thank everybody for their input I am fairly new to the whole handgun world. I think I'll stick to factory loads until I have more experience.Reloading seems to be the way to go so in the mean time I'll save all my brass Maybe some kind soul out there in Vancouver will give me a course on loading when I get more range time in. Once again thanks to all!!!
 
:rockOn:Welcome to the 10mm Crowd.:welcome:

Handloading is the only way to go as factory ammo is waaaay over priced.

IF you don't get into reloading right away make sure you save your brass.

I would stick with Winchester factory ammo as their Brass is as good or better than Starline. Save all your brass for reloading later. Federal, Remington brass etc are good for target loads only.

There are alot of niche offerings in the U.S.A that take full advantage of 10mm case capacity.

DoubleTap, CorBon, are a couple but I have never seen their ammo in Canada.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10mm-Talk-Forums-f187.html
 
Sorry to disagree with oktree but I have yet to fire a Silvertip over the chrony that broke 1100 fps. I have not been more disappointed than I have with Winchester 175grn Silvertips. Squibs are not cool,epsepcially in a "personal protection" load.

I am not sure that you are disagreeing with me, but rather helping to prove one of the points that I was making. The QA/QC of SilverTip is atrocious (at least the samples that I have). They are factory rated at 1290ft/s - I can not recall barrel length, but I would guess 5.0" (Colt).
 
I am not sure that you are disagreeing with me, but rather helping to prove one of the points that I was making. The QA/QC of SilverTip is atrocious (at least the samples that I have). They are factory rated at 1290ft/s - I can not recall barrel length, but I would guess 5.0" (Colt).

Yes, it really is.

My pick for best factory available in Canada goes to Remington UMC. It's consistently the fastest and cycles flawlessly.
 
Back
Top Bottom