I'm thinking about loading for my m/1867 rolling block (year 1871), and after checking the various "authoritative" sites (dutchman, castboolits), I still have a question or two.
First, a few facts:
The barrel slugs at .515" - pretty deep rifling that leaves a rather hexagonal slug. I'm already set up fine for reloading, but I'm not set up for casting. I'm not prepared to start just for this one gun. It's unlikely I'll be shooting hundreds of rounds through the old rifle. I may even decide I don't like it - so rather than get too involved, I wonder if there's a lower-budget solution, e.g. commercial .500 lead bullets. No expectation of 1000yd accuracy, or absolutely authenticity of the Swedish Army round, but safe, reproducible, reasonable grouping at 50-100 yds would be nice.
Question:
Can anyone suggest a viable commercially-available lead projectile?
e.g. Hornady Great Plains .500? I realize it's a muzzle-loading bullet. Since they are hollow-based, the skirt might flare enough to give a decent seal.
There is some information on paper-wrapping hollow-based bullets, that might lead to my lower-budget solution, but I haven't seen too much on it. Most guys shooting this calibre seem to be prepared to cast and lube-size their own .510-.515" bullets.
First, a few facts:
The barrel slugs at .515" - pretty deep rifling that leaves a rather hexagonal slug. I'm already set up fine for reloading, but I'm not set up for casting. I'm not prepared to start just for this one gun. It's unlikely I'll be shooting hundreds of rounds through the old rifle. I may even decide I don't like it - so rather than get too involved, I wonder if there's a lower-budget solution, e.g. commercial .500 lead bullets. No expectation of 1000yd accuracy, or absolutely authenticity of the Swedish Army round, but safe, reproducible, reasonable grouping at 50-100 yds would be nice.
Question:
Can anyone suggest a viable commercially-available lead projectile?
e.g. Hornady Great Plains .500? I realize it's a muzzle-loading bullet. Since they are hollow-based, the skirt might flare enough to give a decent seal.
There is some information on paper-wrapping hollow-based bullets, that might lead to my lower-budget solution, but I haven't seen too much on it. Most guys shooting this calibre seem to be prepared to cast and lube-size their own .510-.515" bullets.


















































