12.7x44r hollow base bullet mold

junkdude

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Location
Alberta
For the 12.7x44r and 50-70 rolling block enthusiasts, there is a group buy for a 515141 HB mold on the castboolit site. I'm shamelessly trying to get some more interest in this mold as it looks like it might be in the que for a while until more people sign up (Mods: couldn't see any rules prohibiting posting this, if there is, my apologies).

I think it is 450gr as a solid, somewhat less as a HB. This looks like it could be a great bullet for the old rolling blocks since it has the hollow base.

After searching the forum here to find an alternative, it seems the question of what bullet to use comes up quite frequently, but nothing with a hollow base is available. Couldn't find anything on the sponsors sites either.

Any other alternatives?
 
I signed up for that mold too - sure am glad I'm not holding my breath. Been epic slow. Still want it as the base can be poured with or without the hollow. Don't know if I'll live long enough to see Swede get it done.

But IMO u don't NEED a hollow base if u can cast a bullet at groove diameter or slightly larger. But who knows till they try - hurry up NOE.

This LYMAN-515-141 works pretty well in my roller cast at .515 at 425gr+. The Spencer one at 340gr be worth a try sometime too - particularly as T870 suggests it (see URLs below).

lyman-515-141_1.jpg

ht tp://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1186/2/LYMAN-515-141
ht tp://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1186/2/LYMAN-515-139

I've got this Lee mold which is almost identical to the Lyman 515-141 but have not tried it as yet.
lee-90255_1.jpg

ht tp://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1185/1/LEE-90255


http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?681274-Got-my-50-70-out-shooting-today-130-year-old-rifle!-More-pics-info-added/page2

50-70-450.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom