12 ga shells got wet

Denka

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
154   0   1
Hi all,
The situation is 12 ga shells got wet. I cleaned and wiped, however, i can see some rust. Do you think it should fine to use them still? Thank you
 
Use them up quick before the moisture seeps through the powder and it deteriorates. This is unlikely to happen to quality shells that have only had a quick dunk or splash.

Know the drill for misfires - Point in a safe direction 1 minute then dispose of dud shells safely. Or if they have been on the bottom of the lake all summer you might want to skip to this step...
 
i guess those got wet couple weeks ago, I believe it should not be a problem. I concern about backfire or damaging shotgun. Therefore, posted here just for verification.
 
no need to worry. i would not use them for hunting however, a misfire is not only agravating its down rite embarassing when your buds are watching you in your blind and you call take em, and you dont even shoot. what i would do in your case is test out a few rounds and if they seem to work fine, go ahead. in terms of damage, ive never heard of any danger whatsoever. ive been hunting waterfoul for many years now, and in some cases, my plastic boxes fill with water and i dump the water out and months later they are still fine to shoot. hope this helps. tty
 
Wet Shot vhells?

Much good advice here.

But let me tell you of my experience.

1941-42, father bought a Win Mod 12, 12 gauge, 32" full choke and a case of Imperial roll crimped cardboard hulled #2 & 4 for duck hunting in Rondeau Bay, off Lake Erie. He stored the case in the basement fruit cellar, an old house. He left home, I used them on weekly jack rabbit drives around where Kent, Lampton amd Middlesex counties met, usuall at least 70 locals "driving" a block. So, I used the pole jumper and rolled a few but I soon found that the shells were tight.

What to do? I took the shells out of their boxes, laid them on the old natural gas oven racks and carefully put the heat to them. Drying them did not reduce the swelling in the cardboard, nada. (My mother trusted me!)

So... I borrowed a neighbour's old 12 hammer double, probably damascus barrels, and continued hunting with Canucks for quail and cotton tails.

So, plastic hulls, well sealed, no problem. As for rust, well, as someone said, use then soon. and don't worry.

Now, if you want to know what I hunted with in 1944 when the 12 gauge shells ran out, you must ask me. :wave:
 
Back
Top Bottom