12 gauge mystery

Jergro

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend has an antique black powder side by side 12 gauge, with external hammers and "SWIFT SPECIAL" engraved on the side, forward of the triggers. Does anyone have knowledge about this shotgun or know where I can find info? Google has nothing.
 
If there are proof marks on the bottom of the barrel and on the water table, that would tell you what country it was made in. Swift Special sounds like a model name. If there is not name on the locks or on the top rib, possibly Swift was the maker or the retailing company. It is not a name that I have ever run across.

cheers mooncoon
 
There is only one reference to a 12 gauge "Swift Special " in the FRT. I have copied the info below from the table.

"- marked "Miller-Morse / Hardware Co. Limited / Winnipeg, Canada" on the bottom of the receiver. These guns were almost certainly made by an outside contractor for distribution by the Miller-Morse chain of hardware stores.
- Miller-Morse's logo of an inverted triangle containing superimposed "M"s and "Swift" is on both sideplates.

- this is a side by side boxlock shotgun made for the Miller-Morse chain of hardware stores.
- walnut pistol-grip stock and forearm, top lever, and double triggers.
- marked "Swift Special" with Miller-Morse's logo of an inverted triangle with superimposed "M"'s on both sideplates."


I hope this is the same shotgun. Just for info purposes the FRT # is 73509-1
 
Good clue, Deanx, but Boxlock and Sidelock are two different things.

Still, it gives at least a DIRECTION to look.

Can we get photos of the standing-breech and bottoms of the Barrels?

There were a lot of guns with very North American-sounding names..... and Liege proofmarks. I'm thinking of several I have owned, including a Spencer Interchangeable.
 
It may be a week or two before I can see it again but I'll try and get some photos for you, thanks

It's a cartridge shotgun, yes?

Take some clear shots of the water table (the flat section between the barrels and the action when opened up) and the underside of the barrel lump(the breech end of the barrels).

Like as not, you will have to break the action down.

Are you familiar enough with shotguns to do so? If not, the forend needs to be removed, usually with the action closed, then open the action while holding the barrels, the barrels should drop open, and then you unhook the barrel from the action. Usually. :)

Should be all manner of markings there.

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom