16 ga 2 9/16" ammo

mark k

CGN frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Location
Toronto
I recently picked up a Heym drilling in the older 2 9/16" chambering. Any thoughts on where to find ammo for this old girl? It's nitro proofed, so I'd prefer smokeless ammo. I've thought about opening up the chamber to 2 3/4" if I had to, but would prefer to keep it original.
 
Fiocchi was producing 2 9/16" ammo, but it is a special run every couple of years. Not sure where to purchase though.
 
I'm reluctant to shoot 2 3/4" in the gun, I've heard tales of high pressures and bulged barrels enough to dissuade me. Epp's told me the only load they carry is black powder from Kent. I guess I'll wait for Fiocchi.
 
Do yourself a favour and actually measure the chamber yourself, see exactly what it measures out at.

Also, take an already fired 2 3/4 inch 16ga shell and measure it. Take the fired shell and see how it slides into the chamber, see if it requires much force, see if you can close the gun and still have the spent shell extract. It would be well worth trying.
 
I measured the chambers, definitely 2 9\16". I just called Kent and I have a case on the way to a dealer. Thanks for the ideas guys.
 
Should be able to shoot 2 3/4" roll crimps as well if you can find them or make your own. A buddy has a 16ga tobin and he's been trimming cases and loading his own 2 9/16. PM Dilly he can likely give you some info on his reloads if you're interested
 
Back
Top Bottom