16 ga black powder slug gun.

sharpsguy

Regular
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
southern alberta
Hey guys,

So I got the idea in my head to get some brass 16 ga shot gun hulls and get a slug mold and use my old cooey single as a bp slug gun. What should I use for bp grain size? What about slug weight and do I use wads etc?
Any one have any ideas? Thanks a bunch!!
 
I've loaded black powder in my old Stevens 311 16 ga double and an old Belgian 12 ga "Cape Gun". I only used either paper or plastic cases though.

In both I used either FFg black powder or Pyrodex RS. In the 16 ga I used .620 diameter round balls with 70-80 grs powder and in the 12 ga. - 1 1/4 oz slugs with 80-90 grs powder.

Yes, you need wads. An over powder wad + a filler.
 
Thanks for the response....I have about six cans of ffffg can I use this stuff?

you would be fairly unwise to. 4F is intended for priming and little else. I would use 2F and a round ball of about .660 plus a fiber cushion wad between the powder and ball and a card wad on top to keep the ball in. I think that a round ball would give you better accuracy with fewer problems that a rifled slug

cheers mooncoon
 
FFFFG powder is generally used for small pistol and priming charges. It is very fine and really not too suitable nor recommended for the larger calibres. As GOLDENLAKEPETE states, he is using FFG powder in his loads.

It is better to use existing paper or plastic shotgun hulls rather than brass ones. The problem is that the brass shells are a bit thinner in wall thickness, and thus do not seal properly when fired with standard 16 guage wads, and you have to buy special oversized wads for the brass shells. 16 guage wads for regular paper or plastic shells are readily available.

I once made up a 12 guage Cooey single shot for Southern Ontario Deer hunting many years ago. The barrel was cut to 24 inches and a front sight, along with a Williams adjustable aperture rear sight was installed. These improved sights worked very good and not only made the gun shoot more accurately, but the improved sights extended the useable range by about 10 more yards or so. One advantage was that you could carry a few standard shotgun shells along for birds or rabbits, and you still had a shotgun that would give a reasonable pattern at 30 yards.
.
 
As Mooncoon and Buffdog state - don't use your FFFFg powder. put an add on the Equipment Exchange to either sell or trade your FFFFg for FFg. I'm sure that there are flintlock shooters out there who would love to have your FFFFg to use as priming.
 
id use 2f and a donut wad then a round ball. IDK why people get the idea of using brass it will never make a rifle like cartridge its thin and you have to use over sized cards.

also finding a 16ga slug mold is not a easy task you will want a foster slug that has a hollow base I only know of one place and the mold is expensive and you have to sprechen Deutsch.
 
thanks for the info antiqueguy. I want brass for sh--s and giggles and I am a bit of a gun smithy....Ive made my own bullet molds for me bp cartridge guns! Ich kanne sehr gutte Deutsch sprechen. ( jetz es ist eine kleine beschissen!).
I hand made the sharps in my avatar.......screws and all...
 
Back
Top Bottom