.17 Mach 2 in .32 - dangeresque?

All rim fire ammunition is considered to be low pressure because of the thin rim required to make it work.

What pressure was the action designed to handle? They all seem to handle 22LR fine.

The maximum pressure of a .17 Mach II and a .22 LR is the same - 24,000 psi
 
Last edited:
I own and have fired one of those.... Course, I bought it for $500 from the guy on here who built it, not the $1000 everyone is trying to ask... But that's digressing. Yes, they're safe to fire. The guy who built it added enough metal to the barrel and cylinder walls to make shooting them safe.
 
All rim fire ammunition is considered to be low pressure because of the thin rim required to make it work.

What pressure was the action designed to handle? They all seem to handle 22LR fine.

The maximum pressure of a .17 Mach II and a .22 LR is the same - 24,000 psi
This is the correct answer.
 
There has been quite a few pop up on the EE as of late.

Would these be treated the same as the SAA that were converted from their original restricted calibres?
Are you asking about the recent policy change? If so, no as they were also in an antique eligible caliber... These guns are antique any way you spin it.
 
I own and have fired one of those.... Course, I bought it for $500 from the guy on here who built it, not the $1000 everyone is trying to ask... But that's digressing. Yes, they're safe to fire. The guy who built it added enough metal to the barrel and cylinder walls to make shooting them safe.

I'll give you $500 for it. Emt on stand by.
 
I am sorry to hear that. Animals are precious to me too. :(

Sorry for the hijack. To the OP: BUY ONE!! Neatest little phone booth guns you can buy
 
Yes. Finding ammo can be hit or miss depending on where you live though. Having said that, they are unique and a real hoot to shoot. Are they accurate? Not past 10 yards with a 2" barrel. Would I buy another one again? In a second.
 
Last edited:
I do not trust those old iron frames on these little rimfire guns for those kind of pressures, I would assume flame cutting into the top strap would be a real possible issue as well.

The original .32RF ammo is expensive or you make it yourself but the guns handle it well and can go a long time without pounding themselves apart.

To each his own though, most of them are just el cheapo defenders ect. It would kind of be a shame to do it to the nicer hopkins and allen XL's or similar though.

Not all of these little spur trigger guns are junk guns, Hopkins and Allen, H&R and Forehand & Wadsworth all made some very nice models of high quality.

I have had enough different ones now to get a good look at many different models.
 
I bought a couple of guns from this man. Trust me... he wouldn't sell a gun that wasn't safe. Having said this... way overpriced anything over 500 and even at that price I hesitated and missed out on them. I don't think he will make more... well maybe I will ask....since now they sell for that much more. Maybe will be worth the time he invested.
 
Another Hijack. Would the Mach 2 be an option to get Stevens favorite .32 rifles usable again? Sounds like a great plinker gun.

probably, although i am not familiar with the gun. If you can get a sleeve built for it to accept mach 2, then i dont see why not.
 
Another Hijack. Would the Mach 2 be an option to get Stevens favorite .32 rifles usable again? Sounds like a great plinker gun.

Not really.

The Favorite is a bit sketchy on High Speed rated .22 ammo.

Stick to "Standard" velocity ammo and they last a lot longer. There are no 'lower' pressure loads available in 17M2.

The longer version is that they were built both to take the pressures of BP .22 and .25, and .32 ammo, and they were built as cheaply as possible. Part of the problem is that the two screws that the action pivots upon are not fully supported, allowing them to both flex a little. There is no physical lock-up of the breech block against a shoulder when they are closed, the pivot screw for the breech block, and the pivot screw for the lever carry the whole load. With the wear of the century more or less since new, this is made worse, and rims separating is a pretty common occurrence in many of them. Wear safety glasses.

If you want a Stevens Favorite, buy one of the new ones. Or a Model 44, which makes a pretty reasonable Rimfire gun. Stevens made the Model 44 in a couple larger calibers, but quit in a hurry. But they hold up OK as a .22.

The Favorites were pretty good for what they were, which was as a Boy's gun, to be bought cheaply and worn out. Try to keep that in mind. A good one is a better resale candidate as a collectible, than as a conversion candidate. The worn out ones are a bunch of work for not much reward. A good hobby, but not a means to a really decent firearm.

I'm down to just a couple Favorites. I like them well enough, but am pretty well aware of what they are actually fit for. In a perfect world, that would mean a conversion to a .22 Short chamber for mine. But liners for Short twist rate are none too common, nor are barrels.

Cheers
Trev
 
Stevens favorite is best converted to .32 s&w long. Makes a nice rabbit gun. Aside of that if you change the barrel completely you may have it easier. Remember though often the firing pin is too high so the gun will need work. I had one in 22 mag. It worked but only after messing around with the pin alignment cause in original configuration it broke hitting the liner.
 
Back
Top Bottom