1800's period folding table/benches in box - Picture added

MC One Shot

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Location
BC & USA
Not sure if this is the right place for this but is related. I was at a shoot yesterday and saw a neet 1800's period folding table and benches that all folded into the box table top at one camp. Does any one know what this design is called and or where I can get some drawings.

Thanks

0_1_zps695f0620.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'd be interested to see that, I am trying to get some ideas together for folding camp furniture to outfit a small spike tent. If anyone had a pic of a collapsible rope bed that would be cool as well.
 
I briefly thought of making a rope bed for rendezvous but discarded the idea because I think there would be endless frustration with the rope stretching. I don't know how many of you have seen and used those chairs made of numerous sticks laced together with rope but they start out semi comfortable and end up just about laying flat as the rope stretches

what I ended up using is a collapsable bed based on a head board and foot board and two sides all held together with tenons and cross pins. On the corners of the sides are sockets for removable legs about 2" diameter by 12" long and the middle of the bed are 3 cross pieces with tenons going through holes in the side pieces but no cross pins to secure them. 1/4" plywood on top so that you don't fall through the holes :>)

cheers mooncoon
 
Yeah it seems rope beds are pretty prone to needing adjustments. The configuration below might help address the problem. My interest in one is strictly from a size/wieght when packed perspective. Also need the storage space underneath as I am dealing with a tight space.

I also came across a version that uses canvas with grommets around the outside that might be more comfy if I can find a piece of canvas.

Outfitting a tent is all kinds of fun, basically man cave nesting with minimal cash outlay. My tent is in no way rendevous ready due to some modern abominations like zippers and screens but in the future I 'd like to get a 'old fashion' one and be able to use the same furnishing.

Rope-Bed.jpg
 
They're worth insane amounts of money.

maybe originals are valuable but I cannot see repros being worth more then the cost of wood and 10 bucks an hour for the guy running the saw. How many unemployed carpenters and cabinet makers are there in california and michigan LOL
 
I like the design with the adjustment at the end so that you (in theory) always have tight ropes. I think that I would want some similar sort of adjustment for a canvas model.
One minor drawback to a rope bed or cot of any kind is that without an insulating layer between you and the ground, they can be fairly cold to sleep on. That is not an issue in the middle of summer but at Heffley Creek, temperatures seem to drop suddenly around the first couple of days of September and the last couple of nights can be fairly cool

cheers mooncoon
 
Mooncoon has just touched on something interesting, cold, for certain being on a cot in the cold with out a mattress with high R value is a recipe for waking up achey.

This brings me to something I have been pondering on. Starting late in the waterfowl season last year I began saving goose down in a barrel (when I learned it is only slight less valuable per ounce then gold). We used some to repack a cheap sleeping bag to good effect. My plan this year is to keep the down from about 90 geese and 70 ducks.

This would give me more then enough (I think) to make a sleeping mat, comforter for canvas tent camping.

Does anyone know anything about historic use of down for bedding. Modern fabrics for use with down are rated as such and they keep the down from working it's way out. What historic fabric would do this ? I am thinking a tightly strung rope bed, with a couple thrift store HBC/sask wool co blankets on the rope and then a down mattress and quilt. Of course a good wife to stoke the fire would cap the package off.

Everything is more fun when you are comfortable, well rested and warm!

Edit: just a further note on rope beds. I slept on a twin size one in asia for a couple weeks. It was strung much finer then the one I posted above (i.e ropes on tighter centers). When I first looked at it I thought ' oh god I am gonna be crippled for sure' turns out that it was chiropractically a boon to my spine. I paid no attention to how it was tensioned but It never sagged in a noticable way. It was rather old so maybe all the stretch was out.
 
Yeah it seems rope beds are pretty prone to needing adjustments. The configuration below might help address the problem. My interest in one is strictly from a size/wieght when packed perspective. Also need the storage space underneath as I am dealing with a tight space.

I also came across a version that uses canvas with grommets around the outside that might be more comfy if I can find a piece of canvas.

Outfitting a tent is all kinds of fun, basically man cave nesting with minimal cash outlay. My tent is in no way rendevous ready due to some modern abominations like zippers and screens but in the future I 'd like to get a 'old fashion' one and be able to use the same furnishing.

Rope-Bed.jpg

i currently use a rope bed of my own design as my normal bed. its queen sized and made of 2x6 cut down to 5" wide(i should have braced the middle better holes drilled in the sides to pass 5/8" jute rope through the rope tension holds it all together (i had to use 6 screws to hold the center feet square, but its almost just wood and rope)

its ~150' of rope to lace the whole thing in one piece, after about 6 months the rope stopped stretching, its been 4 months since i last tightened it and i should do it again now. if you dont want to tighten it, use some wads of newspaper to pull each loop tight for a while until you can tighten it properly. also, be prepared to support the middle if you dont want to end up in the middle of the bed (my girlfirend is a warm sleeper)

it is interesting to sleep on, it feels like a water bed kinda
 
Something else to think about is loft - feather beds work because they're ridiculously thick. The minute you lay on down and squish it it loses most of its insulative value, so you need a ton of it to make up for it. When it's not compressed you can get away with way less.
 
Picture Added

Not sure if this is the right place for this but is related. I was at a shoot yesterday and saw a neet 1800's period folding table and benches that all folded into the box table top at one camp. Does any one know what this design is called and or where I can get some drawings.

Thanks

0_1_zps695f0620.jpg
 
Years ago here was a TV show called American woodworking housted by Scott Philips. In one show he built that same table and benches. I did a quick search but didn't find any plans for it. You may have more luck than me. If you do please let us know as I would like to build one. Good luck
 
I understand that the feathers of ninety leven geese is traditional :>) :>)

aw crap, as the world's worst waterfowler it would take me 20 years to get 101 geese.

After a few weeks under canvas I got a new focus. ORGANIZER/SHELVING/mulit use furniture. Thanks alot for posting the above pics I can see an inspirational organizer in the back of one of them.
 
That would be a great set of plans to find and build one of those

You could build that easy enough with a good hand saw, drill and a square. Nothing tough there, I would imagine it is all dimensional lumber so you can print a pic and use a ruler to guesstimate scale/proprtions.
 
Back
Top Bottom