1848 Dragoon Models - Advice needed

TracerChaser

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Sask.
Hey there,
I would love a little sage-ly advice on 1848 Dragoon replicas (Particularly Uberti). I am a little on the fence regarding which one to get. So i was looking for advice on 3 aspects of the dragoons that separate the Whitneyville Dragoon and its 3 "official" models that followed.

1. With the whitneyville and first models, are the rounded oval cylinder stops and peg, a problem at all/ are they as strong and reliable as the square edged semi circle notches on most revolvers since then?

2. Regarding the trigger guard, is the square backed trigger guard much of a problem for beating up knuckles with either one or two handed shooting, if the shooter has medium sized hands?

3. Does the more slender grip of the Whitneyville, compared to the following 3 models, compromise feel or control at all?

4. Finally, is the loading lever catch prone to dropping/releasing when the gun recoils, and if so, is it mainly during a larger load of black powder, approaching its 50 grain max?

Anyway, I would love to hear from any/all black powder pistol shooters who want to weigh in. Normally I'm not so indecisive, but it seems like the Dragoon pistols have a lot more in the way of options and progression of design than later models like the 1851 and 1860 etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom