1851 BP revovlers!

Until the Angels Fall

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 94.2%
49   3   0
Location
London, Ontario
I had this posed in the pistols section but I think I will get more info in this one...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking into getting a 1851 black powder revolver...just for fun and something a bit more unique to have to shoot in my circle of shooting buddies.

A few questions...the north and south models....is the only difference a brass frame vs. a steel one? Is one better then the other?

.36 or .44? Which one should I get?

I am hoping these will shoot point of aim...or at least close too...I don't wannna have to hold at 3 o"clock to hit at 12

Thoughts/advice?

THANKS!!! UTAF
 
the originals definitely shoot a lot high. Modern replicas I think shoot fairly close to the point of aim. Not sure about the differences in 36 cal but there are several models of 44 caliber reproductions. You might want to browse through Flaydermann's Guide to get an idea of what the original models looked like and then compare your preferences with modern catalogues. While I think of it, don't fill your cylinder full of powder; heavy loads are hard on the gun and you can end up with crushed barrel wedges etc. A good load for a 36 Navy for example is about 15 grains. I did have a reproduction Walker Colt for a while but did not like it because it tended to foul up pretty badly. Also there is less risk of getting a cap down the slot for the hand (in the hammer) with a Remington than with the open topped Colt's. The Remington frame is also structurally stronger

cheers mooncoon
 
This picture shows from left to right:
Uberti 1851 Navy .36 steel frame
Armi San Marco 1851 .36 Brass frame "Confederate"
Pietta 1851 .44 with rebated cylinder.

RangeMarch202011002.jpg
 
the originals definitely shoot a lot high. Modern replicas I think shoot fairly close to the point of aim. Not sure about the differences in 36 cal but there are several models of 44 caliber reproductions. You might want to browse through Flaydermann's Guide to get an idea of what the original models looked like and then compare your preferences with modern catalogues. While I think of it, don't fill your cylinder full of powder; heavy loads are hard on the gun and you can end up with crushed barrel wedges etc. A good load for a 36 Navy for example is about 15 grains. I did have a reproduction Walker Colt for a while but did not like it because it tended to foul up pretty badly. Also there is less risk of getting a cap down the slot for the hand (in the hammer) with a Remington than with the open topped Colt's. The Remington frame is also structurally stronger

cheers mooncoon

Thanks for the info...I have heard/read before about the Remington being stronger but I can't can dig the looks...I LOVE the look of a 1851 Colt. Secondly...is there something I can do or a certain brand of cap that will stay on better and not worry about having one fall into the slot?
 
The Uberti is the best in terms of accuracy but the .44 is quite a blast but hits way low and left.
I haven't shot the brass one enough to know where it hits but the mechanics on it are great.
I was having problems with caps falling off or jamming up the works so I replaced the nipples in the Uberti with some Stainless Steel from Track of the Wolf (PCC-S). These nipples are straight (the Uberti nipples are tapered) and a #11 Remington cap. So far no problems.
 
The nipples are designed for #10 caps which are a trifle smaller and also hard to find. I use the standard #11 caps and squeeze them a bit side to side. I don't like Remington caps because they are or at least used to be made of brass and much stiffer than copper caps

cheers mooncoon
 
Skinny 1950, That is one sweet 1851 on the Left. Man I wish I lived near you. You have some sweet BP firearms my friend.

From what I have read, the Brass framed models are every bit as good as the steel on the repro's however it is recommended that you use a lighter load or the revolver could loosen up. The 1851 Colt Navy revolver was historically a .36 Cal however these days you can get it in .44 if you want more bang, smoke, and fire. So depends on what you want historical accuracy that is also fun, or like me and a few others that like the look of the 1851 but wanted a bigger cal. for that extra kick to your shooting. I bet either way you go you will have fun. Good Luck
 
Back
Top Bottom