1851 colt problem

rgbai

Regular
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Location
b.c. interior
I have this original 1851 colt that seems to have a lot of cylinder wear
i don't need the rammer the bullets can be pushed in with my finger the
chamber measurements are .384 to .388 am i going to need to re sleeve the cylinder or can i use patches?
other than that the gun seems to index fine and the barrel still has decent rifling. barrel has different serial # than rest of gun tho.
rick


1851.jpg
 
I love the 1851 to the extent that I paid for a reproduction (Uberti) before I got an RPAL anyway I am now casting conical bullets for it which measure a maximum of .378. I suspect that these bullets are going to take a lot of force to get them into the cylinder and there might be some lead shaved off in the process which is normal. I am a novice at shooting and still haven't got my 1851 but I would suggest measuring the barrel bore at the cylinder end and if it is around .36 then find a ball a couple of thousands bigger.
The balls used for the reproductions are considerably larger than .36 as they are meant to be swedged into the cylinder which in effect resizes them. These balls could be dangerous in your gun due to their size, they may rattle around in the cylinder but could get stuck in the barrel.
If I were you I would take it to a gunsmith and see what they have to say about it, a sleeve could make it stronger but might devalue what looks like a very nice gun.
How about reposting when you make up your mind I would like to know what you do with this....:D
You could repost under Gunsmithing and get more opinions there as well.....good luck....
 
Use a repro cylinder when firing, and put the original in just for show.
Even with patches, the projectiles may dislodge from recoil in a cylinder with chambers that worn. KD
 
Back
Top Bottom