1851 colt vs. 1860 colt

Greenstreak

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to buy a cap and ball revolver. I am looking for opinions from anyone who who has shot both. Whats the difference in handling between the two? Is the 1851 lighter or heavier? What is the difference between the brass and steel framed model? I just want to buy one for now and need some opinions from those with experience.
Thanks in advance, Greg
 
Colt NEVER made a brass frame model & if memory serves me right the 1860 Army is a .44 & the 1851 Navy is a .36. The forcing cone on the Army is cut to accommodate the larger cylinder of the .44....
During the Civil war the southern manufacturers sometimes produced brass frames due to shortages. But for the most part, the Italian's produced brass framed Colts & Remington replicas. Most of the steel framed ones of the 70's were, (& maybe still are), investment cast. I have personally found one with a void in the frame when converting it to shoot b.p. cartridges.
You'll probably have more fun with the .44, but its really just a matter of preference.
 
I seem to end up with Pietta's.
Now I know a 1851 in 44 cailber is a new gun; it never existed in the day, or so I'm told.
The 1860 has a rack 'n pinion raming assembly; correct? If I'm wrong please correct me.
The 1860 is a supposed improved model built with better steel ( again, in the day).
But in the hand...1851 feels and points better, IMO
My 2 cents.
 
I have a lot of cap and ball revolvers but no 1860 (yet), some of the 1860's have four screws holding the internal parts together compared to three on the 1851. The frame of the 1860 is rebated to allow for the larger .44 cal. projectile, the cylinder may or may not be fluted and the gun has been sculpted to give smoother lines than the 1851. I haven't handled an 1860 so I don't know how it compares to the 1851 for balance and weight but I wouldn't be surprised if they are similar.
Loading the .36 cal. is somewhat more tedious than the .44 cal. (I have an 1851 Pietta Yank .44. ) due to the smaller size of the ball. On the other hand the .36 cal. is more accurate.. possibly due to less recoil.
Here is a picture of some of my cap and ball revolvers (re-post):

RangeAug292011003crop.jpg
 
Nice collection Skinny 1950!
I have had a Pietta 1851 Brass Model in .44 cal for past couple of years, and just fired it 2 weeks ago. Lots of fun! Matter of fact, this week I received another Pietta 1851 Steel Model in .36 cal, but with nice engraving, and white poly grips. Looks so nice, that I am (almost!) relunctant to shoot it!
I have always liked Revolvers, and have a "few", but I have always liked the looks of the 1851 Pattern. I am hoping to pick up a couple more in the next little while.
So, Greenstreak, if you want my vote, go for the 1851 Pattern, in whatever calibre you want. You will definitely have fun either way.
 
By the way, Skinny 1950,
Would you mind giving make/model/calibre for your items from left to right? I am only interested as a fellow cap 'n ball shooter.
Thanks in advance.
 
From left to right:

Somewhat original 1849 Pocket Colt .31 cal. 5 inch barrel.
Manhattan Series IV .36 cal 5 inch barrel circa 1862
Uberti 1851 .36 cal made in 2010
Armi San Marco 1848 Baby Dragoon .31 cal.
Pietta 1851 Yank .44 cal.
Armi San Paolo 1851 .36 cal
 
One other thing to consider is the difference in grip frames. The Army has a longer grip. Some people find this more comfortable, but I preferred the smaller grip on the Navy, which incidentally is the gripframe that Colt's went with when they created the SAA. I've had a bunch of Colt 2nd Generation (Uberti) and Ubertis over the years. My personal favourite was the 1861 Navy London model. Got rid of all of 'em and have a pair of Ruger Old Army 5.5" stainless revolvers now. Might not have the same historical appeal, but they sure do shoot !!
 
While on this topic, Marstar is selling Pietta Colt revovers Several modles of Navy. I am not familiar with this brand. Are they okay? I have an inclination to buy one but would like a review from you guys. What accesories would they come with? ie; powder measure, flask etc?
Thanks
 
While on this topic, Marstar is selling Pietta Colt revovers Several modles of Navy. I am not familiar with this brand. Are they okay? I have an inclination to buy one but would like a review from you guys. What accesories would they come with? ie; powder measure, flask etc?
Thanks

Really there are only two major brands, Pietta and Uberti. If I remember correctly Pietta are cheaper because they make a blackpowder firearm. Uberti goes one step further. I know that some Pietta Navy Revolvers (all the ones I've held) don't come with the etchings on the cylinders like the real ones whereas the Uberti revolvers do.

But Pietta are good shooters.
 
While on this topic, Marstar is selling Pietta Colt revovers Several modles of Navy. I am not familiar with this brand. Are they okay? I have an inclination to buy one but would like a review from you guys. What accesories would they come with? ie; powder measure, flask etc?
Thanks

Uberti and Pietta have been going head to head for years and the quality of both is very good as a result. Uberti has recently introduced high quality Wilson springs in some of their production such as the El Patron SAA.
Powder Flasks and other shooting supplies are not included with the guns but only cost about $50.00 which you will save because shooting black powder is really cheap compared to buying factory ammo especially in larger calibers.
 
Uberti and Pietta have been going head to head for years and the quality of both is very good as a result. Uberti has recently introduced high quality Wilson springs in some of their production such as the El Patron SAA.
Powder Flasks and other shooting supplies are not included with the guns but only cost about $50.00 which you will save because shooting black powder is really cheap compared to buying factory ammo especially in larger calibers.

Who would I go to in Vancouver for black powder supplies and assesopries?
 
Back
Top Bottom