1851 identification help

emmab

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Location
Vancouver B.C.


Hello I would like to request your help in identifying this reproduction .36 cal navy. I looked on the web for maker marks and so forth with no luck. There doesn't seem to be anything but date codes(1973) and proof marks. I was getting all the bits and pieces together to finally shoot this revover and while showing my buddy how to load it, I managed to break the bolt ( i believe) So now I have to fix it even before a first shot LOL. Any recommendations for a good supplier of parts would be appreciated.Thanks in advance. Cheers
.
 
Maybe an older Pietta model? I know the model looks identical to the "Confederate" 1851 that they make. Search Pietta CFT36.

There are more than a few companies in Italy and such that made reproductions such as these.

you can tell it's a "Confederate" model due to the rounded barrel (The true Colt Version was hexagonal) and the Brass frame.

Here is a civil war era 1851 Colt Navy currently in my collection for comparison:

pk7K80S.jpg

EVxDTsK.jpg
 
Last edited:
VTI gun parts or Dixie Gun Works both in the States have parts, you need to take it apart and find out what broke in order to fix it. Take the backstrap off first, then release the tension on the mainspring using the big screw at the bottom end but don't allow it to come all the way out or it may bugger the first thread in the hole. Next remove the trigger guard and the three screws on the frame.
Can't help with the maker on that one..I have the same problem with one of my brasser's, the registration has Maker = Unknown.
 
Thanks for the quick replies. Beautiful old revolver! Is it still a shooter?
I have it apart and from what I can tell it is one of the arms of the cylinder stop, or bolt as they call it. I'll try to find Pietta parts and hopefully they can be fitted. I was wondering if the gun is always a bugger to put back together? The cylinder arbor(pin) seems to be too tight to easily fit into the corresponding hole near the barrel. I think the area around the wedge hole is peened a little. This makes for a real tight fit making the take down and reassembly difficult. Is it supposed to be like that or should I try and polish the arbor for a slacker fit? Thanks again cheers
 
Last edited:
Thats too bad. If you're like me, I love old antiques and to have an example that old is still fantastic!

yeah if they weren't so expensive I'd buy another. Looking to pick up a reproduction in the future though. Display them together and to have one I can actually shoot.

This 1851 was purchased new and passed down through the family until it finally got to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom