1860 Spencer Carbine PICS ADDED NOV.20

Mike Webb

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
214   0   1
Location
Southern N.B.
A friend of mine has an 1860 Spencer carbine. It is in the 41,000 serial range. I have read that there were 48,000 produced during the U.S. Civil War. In late 1864 the U.S. Army requested modifications, changing the bore diameter to .50 instead of .52 and reducing the barrel to 20 inches versus 22 inch.
My friend's is a .52 and has a 22 inch barrel so probably a Civil War rifle. Any idea of value for one here in Canada?
Here's pics. Rifle has fair amount of pitting especially on the butt plate. By the style of the L carved in the butt I would guess 19th century.



 
Last edited:
I will post some pics. This one has been through the mill. Probably "fair to good" condition by NRA Antique standards. American price books don't mean a whole lot here in Canada in my experience.
 
I know where there's a Canadian issued spencer infantry rifle, dominion of Canada marked and in mint condition, no rust no pitting just beautiful... and I'm not sure any amount of money could convince the owner to sell.
 
Not necessarily so. Check out the asking prices for Colt Pythons, SAAs and Winchester 9422s.

Something is worth what someone will pay for it. Money talks.
 
My best guess for finding a value is ask people that could have sold similar, Landsbourogh Auction in Ontario, or Neil McCallister of Maynards Auction in Vancouver might be able to give you a rough idea. Condition and documentation is everything, so i doubt that they will give you a hard number, without having the gun in hand or some providence.

PS: Perhaps McSherry Auction. Pretty high volume sale, but mostly utility stuff. In thinking on it again, Maynards would be your best bet.
 
Back
Top Bottom