1866 src indian trade carbine brass tacks

Dave.S

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
286   0   1
I'm looking for some brass tacks for my original 1866 saddle ring carbine to replace some that have been removed. Originals or really good repros. Any suggestions on whether this is a good idea to replace some missing tacks? PM me if you have any info. Dave
 
I haven't checked, but I would bet that Track of the Wolf sells them. They do lots of the old flints and trade guns and stuff. If they don't have them id be surprised.
 
Just for laughs, check with your local upholstery shop. I saw some in there a few years ago that looked to be dead ringers for some of the ones I saw on old guns. There are many different types still being made, but they can get awfully expensive. Ones I was looking at ran 3 bucks a hundred.
 
If you have an original 1866 Winchester, be very, very careful about what you are doing with/to it. Serious value involved.
Tacks made 150 years ago can be quite different in detail than modern made ones.
Of course, you don't know when the tacks were put in. Or by whom.
 
If you have an original 1866 Winchester, be very, very careful about what you are doing with/to it. Serious value involved.
Tacks made 150 years ago can be quite different in detail than modern made ones.
Of course, you don't know when the tacks were put in. Or by whom.

If I was to guess he's trying to fill in the ugly holes and impressions the removed ones made.
 
If your 66 is all original, I would leave it the way it is, and just wipe it all down with gun oil. However, if it's already been played with, then try "Track of The Wolf" as already posted above, or "Dixe Gun Works". If they don't show it in their catalog, send them and e-mail and ask, because someone there might have some old tacks from a Win?
 
Back
Top Bottom