hey all,
Grandfather left me an 1872 cavalry carbine when he passed. He was a western Canadian and native historian and believed it to be a NWMP issue.
I finally got a chance to inspect it more and here is what I found:
1) stamped VR BSAC 1872
2) Barrel is stamped * I I which I think means Mk2
3) there are numerous WD marks which I assume is British War Department
4) Barrel (side) looks like it has two sets of marks. The first is a crown over VR which is on the top of a big X with a p under the x. The other mark is the same but with an E instead of P, and there is another mark...upward arrow over WD over E
5) Barrel band has facing arrows over WD over a mark i can't make out yet. seems like it was a decomissioned british gun.
6) Right side of buttstock has a roundel reading Birmingham WD arrow pointing up to crown and another pointing down to crown
7) Carbed into the buttstock is BCGA 112 and VCA 29. I read that BCGA is British Columbia Garrison Artillery, 112 I imagine is the unit, but I have no idea what VCA 29 stands for. I wonder if it was someone's initials...
8) the left side of the buttstock has what looks to be carved with DC but it could be DO. I know DC is Dominion of Canada's mark but this doesn't have the triangle surround.
9) buttstock plate is stamped with upwards arrow, WD over something I can't distinguis, over x over I....further down is 77 and even further down is 6.
I will post pics tomorrow!
The barrel is 19.25 inches long so it fits the size for a cavalry cadet. It has a small front sight which from what I read means it wasn't a cut down enfield. It is missing a few parts. The rear sight, thumb lever, a screw and rod are missing. The gun still functions well other than the slide cartridge ejector being hard to slide. I think if it had the primer it could function.
Can anyone please provide some information on this weapon? I tried searching Britich Columbia Garrison but came up with little. Anyone have any idea what VCA might stand for? I am guessing that since it is BCGA it has no affiliation with the NWMP.
Any idea on what the value might be?
thanks!
Grandfather left me an 1872 cavalry carbine when he passed. He was a western Canadian and native historian and believed it to be a NWMP issue.
I finally got a chance to inspect it more and here is what I found:
1) stamped VR BSAC 1872
2) Barrel is stamped * I I which I think means Mk2
3) there are numerous WD marks which I assume is British War Department
4) Barrel (side) looks like it has two sets of marks. The first is a crown over VR which is on the top of a big X with a p under the x. The other mark is the same but with an E instead of P, and there is another mark...upward arrow over WD over E
5) Barrel band has facing arrows over WD over a mark i can't make out yet. seems like it was a decomissioned british gun.
6) Right side of buttstock has a roundel reading Birmingham WD arrow pointing up to crown and another pointing down to crown
7) Carbed into the buttstock is BCGA 112 and VCA 29. I read that BCGA is British Columbia Garrison Artillery, 112 I imagine is the unit, but I have no idea what VCA 29 stands for. I wonder if it was someone's initials...
8) the left side of the buttstock has what looks to be carved with DC but it could be DO. I know DC is Dominion of Canada's mark but this doesn't have the triangle surround.
9) buttstock plate is stamped with upwards arrow, WD over something I can't distinguis, over x over I....further down is 77 and even further down is 6.
I will post pics tomorrow!
The barrel is 19.25 inches long so it fits the size for a cavalry cadet. It has a small front sight which from what I read means it wasn't a cut down enfield. It is missing a few parts. The rear sight, thumb lever, a screw and rod are missing. The gun still functions well other than the slide cartridge ejector being hard to slide. I think if it had the primer it could function.
Can anyone please provide some information on this weapon? I tried searching Britich Columbia Garrison but came up with little. Anyone have any idea what VCA might stand for? I am guessing that since it is BCGA it has no affiliation with the NWMP.
Any idea on what the value might be?
thanks!


















































