1873 question

Let's find out. What's the serial number? Post or send me a photo. I have learned after too many years never say that " Winchester didn't make it that way." I had a model 94 once that had a 19" barrel and it lettered that way.
Road King
 
I won't have the gun until the first part of the week. It's part round/octagon barrel.

I'll send you pics when I get it.;)

The serial number is somewhere between 390,000 and 400,000 IIRC.
 
Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firears, volume 1 by Arthur Pirkle says "rifle barrels could be special ordered in 2 inch increments from 14 to 36 inches long"

But, like road king says, never say never.
 
Last edited:
Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firears, volume 1 by Arthur Pirkle says "rifle barrels could be special ordered in 2 inch increments from 14 to 16 inches long"

But, like road king says, never say never.

I'll post pics here as soon as I get the rifle. Thanks for the replies guys!:)
 
The book I mentioned above also says
"The front sight blade and base were installed in a dovetail 3/8 inches wide cut 3/4 inches ehind the muzzle, plus or minus 1/16 inch. These measurements can often be used to determine whether a barrel has been cut down"
 
I think if it was made before 1906 or so it would be worth getting a letter, after that there are no records. ANY barrel length was available on special order between 36 and 14 inches on some models. Half round would be a short rifle and I think the number is too high to letter. Check sight dovetail as mentioned and length of forend as most short rifles had a forend one inch shorter than standard. If the forend is short, it's very hard to fake a short rifle as the notch for the forend screw will be visible on the bottom of the barrel.
 
I think if it was made before 1906 or so it would be worth getting a letter, after that there are no records. ANY barrel length was available on special order between 36 and 14 inches on some models. Half round would be a short rifle and I think the number is too high to letter. Check sight dovetail as mentioned and length of forend as most short rifles had a forend one inch shorter than standard. If the forend is short, it's very hard to fake a short rifle as the notch for the forend screw will be visible on the bottom of the barrel.

According to the limited info that I have, the serial number puts the year of manufacture before 1906 easily. What is your info telling you?:)
 
Here are a few pics, sorry for the delay:redface::):

DSC01903.jpg


DSC01902.jpg


DSC01901.jpg


DSC01900.jpg


DSC01899.jpg


DSC01898.jpg


DSC01897.jpg


DSC01896.jpg
 
Still looks great tho.

Thanks dingus.:)

Those old '73's don't come up for sale too often so it's nice to get one.:cool:

I am no expert by no means but that is the first one that I've ran into in the 38-40 chambering.:dancingbanana:

Thanks to two 'top-of-the-line-there's-none-better' Gun Nutz like dizzy dan 1 & Win Shooter I have brass to start reloading for the old girl!:D
 
Back
Top Bottom