1876 Carbine from Marstar?

I'm assuming you are talking about the Chaparral version. I have the 45-60 NWMP carbine version. Mine came from Shooter's Choice but I bought it off a friend so I did not deal with the seller. The bad news first, it is nowhere near as nicely put together as a Uberti. The main spring is a bit mushy, the wood is plain and attention to detail is a bit lax. On mine the saddle ring has rough mill marks on it as does the ladder of the rear sight, I can't believe they blued these parts with such rough file marks. Granted they are not easily visible but still, I see them. I had to work on the rear sight, the NWMP carbines have the military sights and they are not an exact copy, the screw that holds the elevator to the ladder is reversed so the head of the screw messed with aiming.
The good news is that after dealing with the rear sight I took it to the range and all the faults were forgiven since it shoots so nicely. What I read is that when it comes to internal parts the Chaparral model is an exact copy unlike the Uberti that is a bit modified so some people who got the very early guns and had a lot of trouble with loose carriers and sticky bolts just replaced them with original parts and managed to get the guns going. They have really improved a lot I handled an early production gun and they really are a disappointment, at least I can live with the defects of the one I have. Plus it did not cost $1600, so it will do.
If you do get one, be prepared for a bit of an ugly duckling but from all accounts it will more than likely be accurate and in the end that makes a gun worth keeping.
The other nice thing about the Chaparral is that their 45-60 is not like the original round it is just a shortened version of the 45-70 so all you need to do is trim the overall case length and no need to mess with the rim thickness. I have no idea if the Uberti 45-60 is the cheater version or a copy of the original cartridge.
Branko
 
Last edited:
Uberti makes a copy of the 76 carbine but unfortunately the carbine version is not sold in Canada and to get one you would have to import it from the States.If using the 45/70 to make 45/60 brass to shoot in the Uberti you have to turn down the case rim thickness
as well trimming the case.
 
The Uberti version of the '76 carbine is sold by Cimarron in the USA, but they do have a Canadian distributor who I have talked with. I cannot recall who it is, but if you go to the Cimarron website and search or inquire, you will find the Canadian distributor. The Uberti '76 carbine is a true beauty, but it is expensive.
 
My Chaparral carbine is a 45-75 and I'm quite happy with it.
Best accuracy has been with a Lyman 330 gr. Gould bullet and it shoots well with either BP or smokeless..
 
Back
Top Bottom