1877 Colt Thunderer

DANCESWITHEMPTIES

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Here's one that arrived at the house a few days ago. Thanks Clay! It's an 1893 manufacture with a 4 3/4" barrel in very good condition & excellent mechanics. Thought we just needed some more show & tell....:cheers:

P5260073.jpg


P5260076.jpg


P5260075.jpg


P5260074.jpg


P5260072.jpg
 
There's a 3 1/2" Sheriff's model coming my way when I get back from tasking. Suppose to be in 85% or better nickel finish manufactured in 1878 with complete history & seller's father purchased it from the original owners estate. I'll tell you more when it arrives...
 
They did come in 2 1/2 but on this one The two-line address on the top of the barrel does not line up from when the barrel was re-installed. really being the only give away that it was shortened. that and the barrel is actually a bit over 2 1/4.
 
Some guns I wouldn't touch either. If it has some documented history to it or owned by someone of notoriety, I'd leave it alone. Some I may be tempted to have a correct restoration done to put it back to it's former glory, but I realize that it really doesn't do much to increase it's value when you factor the cost of the resto. And yes it may indeed decrease the value of some.
 
Here's one that arrived at the house a few days ago. Thanks Clay! It's an 1893 manufacture with a 4 3/4" barrel in very good condition & excellent mechanics. Thought we just needed some more show & tell....:cheers:

P5260073.jpg


P5260076.jpg


P5260075.jpg


P5260074.jpg


P5260072.jpg



Hey i think it looks great! :)
For a gun your gona keep for yourself theres nothing wrong with doing that.
i figger its worth more up here like that than all peeling nickle or just no finish left.
very nice looking gun.
let me know if you ever decide to sell it i prefer a gun that looks like that to one with hardly any finish left.
Ive always liked the lite weight of the thunder and one day wanted one that looks like yours.

Love the fire blue screws to !
 
I agree with Dingus. I don't think there is anything wrong with a well done restoration.

There is no huge worry that the presence a few restored guns will ever have any effect on the market for historically unaltered "honestly worn" firearms. I say this as a good restoration, as on this Thunderer costs quite a bit and often does not make much fiscal sense with most handguns.
 
Not sure what you mean, but they started with serial number 1 in 1877 & 166,000 in change when finished manufacture in 1909.
 
Examining two that own (1873 & 1877) I would say that yes they are numbered the same way. Frame, back strap, & trigger guard have the identical serial numbers on them. Both guns have numbers on the loading gate & cylinder that don't correspond to their respective serial number.
 
Back
Top Bottom