1878 Colt and 1880s W.W Greener 10 gauge hammer guns.

james12345

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Location
Saskatchewan
Just picked up these two, first the Colt- stock broken at the wrist, action tight and one barrel pitted pretty bad at 19-20'' then numerous small dints after that. The Greener- action is fairly good, stock has been broke but repaired functionally but not too pretty and on one barrel it is cracked at about 20''. I bought them as coach gun projects. My question is should I fix them up as coach guns and have some fun with light black powder loads, or are they collectable enough that I should not start cutting them up.
 
I doubt that either has much collectible value, on the other hand if you have a metal lathe and metal working knowledge you could sleeve the damaged barrel in each and keep them functional with more or less full length barrels. I am afraid I have never been very excited about coach guns. Which model of Greener is it? The cheapest is the Dominion grade and it has no cross bolt. The one that I see most commonly, I call a "triple wedge fast" because in the catalogues of the day, the same mechanism seemed to be classified by the cost and the cost depended on the quality of wood and engraving. There was also a "Far Killer" , the name of which seemed to be based on its choke boring

cheers mooncoon
 
It is a cross bolt model, fairly nice engraving on the action. No model name but says ''W.W Greener 68 Haymarket London. Winner at the London gun trials 1875,1877,1878&1879'' on the top rib.
 
Back
Top Bottom