1878 Colt

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I received this in the mail, shipped Jan. 17. Arrived, Jan 29. 4 days in customs. I had heard things were really tightened up at the border??? Sent from Eastern States, went smooth.
Anyhow, it needs a bit of hand work. Are there parts around? I would like to start with a new hand, maybe repro grips, and a swivel. !885, .44 Russian.

 
Nice gun . I have a pall mall address one in 455 low serial number its got the older style action.
www.coltparts.com used to have parts for theses. give them a try I think they have new hands you might need a new hand spring as well.
if its just poor timing check the stud in the loading gate. they get worn outa round and are important for correct timing. there a lot easyer to fix than replaceing a hand.
you can make a new round stud from drill rod . look close at the inside face of the loading gate you will see the stud that's just pressed in there.
Also the loading gate should move in and out as the cylinder turns if its not doing that you need a new loading gate spring and that's a big job to replace.
but as long as the gate stays shut on its own and theres slight spring tension the last 1/4 inch or so its good don't mess with it.

Once you get it shooting there supper strong antiques one of the strongest out there being soild frame and as the cylinders have no stop notch cut outs.
Elmer Keith talks about theses and the smokeless loads they can handle in his book Sixguns.
 
I have collected 1878's for a while now and this is the first one I have seen in 44 Russian! I think the Wilkerson book says that about 800 of them were made in this caliber - but this is the first one I have heard about! Nice find!
 
Hey Bill- nice to see you in collecting mode again. I have a similar but Belgian made copy made by FN. Nice pieces in .44 Rus. which ammo I can buy from Rusty Wood Trading in either smokeless or BP. Good cartridge I think -just slightly less poke than 44/40. Cheers, Bill
 
7rIt6



https://imgur.com/gallery/7rIt6

I have one in .41 LC..... shot it with Ultramax .41 LC cowboy action and it works great...
 
Back
Top Bottom