1879 Reichsrevolver Issues & Restoring to Functional Condition

Thiopento

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
Toronto
I recently acquired this nice looking 1879 reichsrevolver that's been chromed post-production. On receiving it I realized that it's been modified so that the barrel looks to have been milled out making it smoothbore and the rear of the cylinder has been milled back 2mm.

I have no idea who did this and what they were trying to achieve and what caliber they were trying to convert it to.

Any suggestions how I can get it back into shootable condition, ie. what caliber I can ask a gunsmith to make it into by re-lining the barrel and the cylinders?

LSZhKrg.jpg

kQdstWb.jpg

E1J9gkk.jpg

lfvcsqr.jpg
 
I'm guessing that the cylinder might have been done to take moon clips but what they did to the barrel is unfortunate. It gives you a blank slate for a build though.

If the chambers aren't messed with maybe a spacer can be made to replace what was milled off. Not sure if there's enough meat in the barrel to reline to 44 again.

Next option would be 38 but S&W would void the antique status and the cylinder might be too short for Special...

8mm French Lebel maybe?
 
looks like a snake gun to me. see if 45 schofield will chamber in the chambers ? or 45 colt ? some guns were altered so they could shoot shot instead of a bullet.
that's just a guess on my part tho.
the milling the rear face of the cylinder is strange tho.
 
Altering for moon clips makes no sense when the cylinder would have to be removed to load.
Might .45 Auto Rim fit?
Might be a "snake gun" conversion.
Putting a rifled liner in the barrel wouldn't be a big deal. Chambers could be sleeved as well. Make a disc to fill the gap.
 
looks like a snake gun to me. see if 45 schofield will chamber in the chambers ? or 45 colt ? some guns were altered so they could shoot shot instead of a bullet.
that's just a guess on my part tho.
the milling the rear face of the cylinder is strange tho.

I've seen a RR that was 'played with' so long that there was drag marks across the rebated space for the rims. The one I'm recalling was a DA Belgian version...do German RR's not sport rebated rims as well? I'm not well versed on them... will the original cartridges have a close to 2mm rim?
 
Last edited:
I've seen a RR that was 'played with' so long that there was drag marks across the rebated space for the rims. The one I'm recalling was a DA Belgian version...do German RR's not sport rebated rims as well? I'm not well versed on them... will the original cartridges have a close to 2mm rim?

Should be rebated rims yes.
 
Back
Top Bottom