1885 Browning BPCR variant

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1
I am in the preliminary stages of purchasing a Browning Model 1885 of BPCR configuration in calibre 45/70 of course. I find it kind of odd that there are not many new threads on this forum regarding these old style buffalo rifles. Or Sharps or RBs.

Anyone own one and like to contribute with their informed opinion/observations on the subject of single shot 45/70s of old time BP era?

cheers.........
 
Last edited:
I owned at one time one of the Browning 78 highwalls in 45/70 ,the one with the deep crescent buttplate,it was a nice rifle and I shot my first deer with it.I currently own a Shiloh 1874 military rifle that was built with hunting in mind with a shotgun style ,double set triggers .I also have a C Sharps 1885 highwall in 22lr which is extremely accrurate and if you can afford it I would recommend over the Browning.
 
I have a Browning BPCR in .45-70, and one of the Winchester' in .50-90. They don't get shot a lot, but they are well made and very accurate.

My Browning is at least as accurate as my Shiloh in .45-70, but there are a few drawbacks. The lack of a set trigger makes it less good offhand. The breech block can't be easily removed for cleaning like in a Sharps or CSA Highwall. The rifle is an excellent prone gun for me. The length of pull is about perfect.

Some complain about the lack of freebore in these rifles, but I think the chamber configuration is quite good. If you get one I'd recommend starting with the Saeco #740 bullet. I got Steve Brooks to make a customized version of his Creedmoor bullet which I find works very well. As does the Buffalo Arms version of the "money bullet". I shoot them all with zero neck tension and powder charges around 69gr.

Good luck with the rifle.

Chris.
 
I have a friend who used an 1885 Browning on his plains game African Safari. All the PH's were very dubious over the 45-70 (not well known to them) and single shot to boot... after the hunt they all wanted to buy the gun. Five one shot kills using vernier sights ( wouldn't be my choice for hunting).
 
Are you planning on using Black Powder or Smokeless Powder?????

The rifle is made for BP if it's a BPCR shooting cast bullets.

Here is where the trouble comes in. Recently, I picked up a Pedersoli Sharps. I had another that I purchased from a CGNer but my stepson fell in love with it. I had only used smokeless and modern 350/450 grain jacketed bullets in it. This means I didn't notice the declining velocity issue.

When I picked up the hunting model with the shotgun style butt, I decided to shoot cast 405 gr and black powder. Whoops, whole new learning curve. BP fouling just changes everything.

Now, because of a recent article by Mike Venturino, I shoot hard cast bullets with one big lube groove and I also smear a lubricant on the bullet before inserting it into the chamber. This softens the BP fouling and keeps velocities consistent. The standard procedure for this before was to swab out the bore between shots or exhale heavily to accomplish this with varying results.
 
Bearhunter, I certainly plan on using BP and cast.
I have a recent plefora (about three years or so) of BP firearms, this one should just about be the pinacle.

And I have attended Bethune as a mere observer sometime back, with thanks to the encouragement of a very kind/helpful South Saskatchewan BP rifle enthusiast.

Edit: BTW, if I really feel the desire to set off some really stiff smokeless handloads in a modern 45 bore, I have a 458x2inch American that scratches this itch.

Cheers
 
Last edited:
I also have one of these BPCR in 45-70. Beautifull rifle and extremely accurate. Easy 1 MOA with the vernier sights and the right hand loads. Once you find out the load and projectile it likes then you start indexing your loads and that to me was the last piece of the loading process that eeked out all the potential of that rifle and cartridge.
 
I am in the preliminary stages of purchasing a Browning Model 1885 of BPCR configuration in calibre 45/70 of course. I find it kind of odd that there are not many new threads on this forum regarding these old style buffalo rifles. Or Sharps or RBs.

Anyone own one and like to contribute with their informed opinion/observations on the subject of single shot 45/70s of old time BP era?

cheers.........

By the time the 1885 Winchester hit the streets, the Buffalo were mostly bleaching out in the sun. The ones that had not already been shipped for fertilizer, anyways.

Have you looked at this book? http://www.texas-mac.com/Browning_BPCR_book.html

Supposed to be pretty good, and covers a lot of detail specific to the new production guns made by Miroku. They are not like the original High Wall Winchesters as much...

Have fun!

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom