1885 low wall in 25 Stevens RF to use CF

pmatuk

CGN frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Location
DC Northern BC
I purchased a 1885 low wall in 25 Stevens RF off the EE in dec last year. It was in need of a good cleaning and a few bits and the bore is rough with some stock issues ..While I had it apart and working it over I decided to also make it capable to fire cf in the same size chamber and be able to go back to RF if I want.

Completed the mod to Cf and can be converted back to RF by changing the firing pin in a few moments.I can now use it in center fire mode with affordable hand loads and cast bullets .I made up the cases from 22 hornet and using 85 gr cast bullets from Bullet barn on top of 4 gr of unique .

With the rim fire ammo and the poor bore I was getting a 3 inch group at 25 yards .With the center fire ammo the group tightened up to just under an inch with a bit more smack which is better but kinda suprising fro what the bore looks like .

I was an interesting project with a fairly good result and here are a few pics




 
What a great job you have done on a beautiful little rifle! I'd love to find a real low wall here in UK, but the prices for any genuine Winchester of the same era are way out of my league - one in good condition in .38-55 was in sale at Bisley last year for just over $6000.

I have a Uberti in .45-70 Gov, but although it's nice, I know it's a frawk.

Happy shooting.

tac
 
What a great idea to keep the old rifle useful, a tip of the hat to you. Too bad my 25 Favorite is not suitable for CF, I am down to around 200 rounds left.
I am wondering if your bore could benefit from lapping--- I checked the specs on your bullet choice and the manufacturer lists it at .259. IIRC the 25 Stevens comes in at .251. Slugging your bore might give you some room for lapping.
 
I did slug what is left of the bore and that is the reason for the 259 bullet .I read possibly the same info and aquired a box of 251 bullets and pushed the bullet with 60 psi air pressure through the bore with almost no marks.Pulled a 25 stevens cil cartridge apart carefully and the bullet actually measures .257-256 .So I now have 498, 251 50 grain bullets to store for now unless somebody needs them LOL

Here is a couple of pics to show bore and slugged bullets

 
This type of conversion was obviously been done before as CH4D has dies in stock for 25 Stevens.The 22 hornet is very close in rim diameter so no trimming there ,just trim to lenght 1.125 and run through sizing die and tap out case as not to bend rim ,I used a brass rod as bent rims are no good .You end up with a belt above the extractor grove that needs to be trimmed and the rim has to be thinned to .040 to match the rim fire rim.Then lastly run the expander through the mouth and ready to load .Also note that the rim fire cases did not flow into the center fire hole in the breech block which I was concerned with at first

Cheers Peter
 
That's neat, just be aware the gun is not an antique when the CF firing pin is in place. (I am assuming it is pre 1898)
 
Those C-I-L measurements are interesting. Perhaps they developed their specs with a view to variances among the manufacturers, trusting the lead bullet to be more forgiving in a tight bore.
I am left to wonder if Winchester simply used their 25-20 barrels for the Stevens cartridge rather than tool up for the .006" difference. It would make sense from a manufacturing viewpoint if there was little demand for the RF chambering.
 
keep in mind this rifle is a winchester low wall

The rifle is assembled right now and to pull the breech block I will have to take it apart to get the breech block out.

I watched a you tube video with Larry Potterfield of Midway . The only difference is I did not plug the rimfire hole so I can go back to factory ammo .I made a new firing pin for the CF similar to the 1885 japan browning high wall from 3/8 drill rod and silver soldered a .060 pin to keep the hole small and it is spring retracted .When I fire rimfire ammo the center fire hole does not leave a mark on the case head

If you are doing a similar project I can take it apart and do pics other wise the you tube vid pretty well covered it

cheers Peter
 
Thanks for that - I've watched Larry Potterfsfield's video myself. I've been considering doing this to a Favourite (as you say, a bit different than a falling or rolling block) for some time since I have a pile of .32 Colt brass (also no re-chambering required). Similar concept though.

If I go ahead with it I'll update. I had the same thought (make it convertible) and had a good look at some photos of the Marlin (1889??) lever gun that was convertible between 32 RF/32 Colt. Not a big difference between firing pins. I "may" not even need to re-drill the firing pin channel, but so be it if I do.
 
Thanks for that - I've watched Larry Potterfsfield's video myself. I've been considering doing this to a Favourite (as you say, a bit different than a falling or rolling block) for some time since I have a pile of .32 Colt brass (also no re-chambering required). Similar concept though.

If I go ahead with it I'll update. I had the same thought (make it convertible) and had a good look at some photos of the Marlin (1889??) lever gun that was convertible between 32 RF/32 Colt. Not a big difference between firing pins. I "may" not even need to re-drill the firing pin channel, but so be it if I do.

why not just go with the .27 ramset blank method http://32rimfire.########.ca/
 
Try paper patching some of those undersized cast bullets. You might be surprised at the accuracy and speed you can get out of them.. Dress makers patterns have great paper for patching bullets. Use a good lubricant.
 
Back
Top Bottom