1887 VR Enfield IV .450-577 Infor Wanted

w98seeng

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1887 VR Enfield IV .450-577 that I got from my father who has had it for years.

I would like to sell it and have no idea where to go, or who to speak to as I have never dealt with firearms before.

The rifle is in very nice condition, except for a small chip out of the stock at the front. The cleaning rod is there as well.

Thanks for any info.
Ian

Here are some pics...

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

7-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

3-1.jpg
 
I am surprised that you don't want to keep it as a family keepsake or heirloom. It would not surprise me if 10 or 15 years from now, you look back and same damn I wish I still had that gun. The gun looks to be the tropical model with the long lever. The longer lever was a modification or improvement as a result of stuck cases resulting from corroded ammo

cheers mooncoon
 
Unless you need the money I would advise you to keep it. It is an antique under the regulations and does not require a PAL to own. (Though I encourage you to get one) You will have to learn to load your own cartridges, but it isn't hard and it is a lot of fun. Brass can be made from 24 gauge (brass) shotgun shells, or bought ready to load. Another option is to get a machinist to make you an adapter to go from the original chambering to 45 Colt or 45/70, both readily available. Try and connect with the black powder section of a local gun club or your provincial black powder association. You'll find folks willing to help.
BR
 
The bore in that rifle will be .466 - .468" in diameter so 45LC and 45-70 will not shoot in it very well, if at all! It is not a valuable firearm as most interest is in the Mk.1, Mk.2 and Mk.3 short lever rifles. It will not be a Canadian issue as Mk. 4's were not issued here. They are interesting to shoot. As with most members here you do not have a location for whatever reason. Where are you? There are fellows who shoot the MH in all areas of Canada who would help a beginner. So, to answer your question, if in VG condition, including the chamber and bore it may be worth $400.00 to $500.00. Keep it as a conversation piece and shoot it for fun.
 
The bore in that rifle will be .466 - .468" in diameter so 45LC and 45-70 will not shoot in it very well, if at all! It is not a valuable firearm as most interest is in the Mk.1, Mk.2 and Mk.3 short lever rifles. It will not be a Canadian issue as Mk. 4's were not issued here. They are interesting to shoot. As with most members here you do not have a location for whatever reason. Where are you? There are fellows who shoot the MH in all areas of Canada who would help a beginner. So, to answer your question, if in VG condition, including the chamber and bore it may be worth $400.00 to $500.00. Keep it as a conversation piece and shoot it for fun.

there was canadian issue mk4's the qubec home guard had quite a few idk when but maybe in ww1 i had a QHG mk4
 
I have heard all of the thoughts on the Canadian Mk. 4's before and don't believe that any were issued to Canadian military at any time. I don't think that any were ever purchased or held in stores in Canada. David
 
I have heard all of the thoughts on the Canadian Mk. 4's before and don't believe that any were issued to Canadian military at any time. I don't think that any were ever purchased or held in stores in Canada. David

well believe becuse they are out there its not a thought when you have a QHG mk 4 in your hands(worth quite a bit more then a nepal cache mk4) joe salter also had one in a bit back not a common piece though. i sold mine to fund somthing else

idk when the mk4s wher brought in possibly they where private purchase as this was a militia type unit who knows
 
Montreal Home Guard privately purchased 1899 Savage muskets.
I can easily see the same sort of thing happening with other firearms.
Have yet to see a Mk. IV with a C/l\ mark, or even a photo of one with the mark.
Privately purchased arms can't really be considered to be official Canadian Army issue.

Anyway, the OP's rifle looks to be a pretty nice specimen, in better condition than many of the MH rifles that turn up.
 
Back
Top Bottom