1888 Springfield (trapdoor)

What do you need to know???
PM me direct with your questions.
Cheers

I have one and was wondering if anyone else here owns one or shoots it? here is few pics of mine.
Trapdoor45-70001.jpg
Trapdoor45-70002.jpg
Cartouches002.jpg
Trapdoor45-70009.jpg
 
I used to own and shoot one. Superbly accurate with the right cast 500 grain bullet and that beautiful Buffington sight. I sold mine to a friend. Didn't want to, but needed the $$$ for another gun (hard as it may be for some to understand).
 
Over the years I have had several of these and used them all in black powder cartridge rifle matches. They were awesome shooters, using a Lyman 457193 mold with wheel weights...also used an Ox-Yoke Wonder Wad behind the bullet. You may need a slightly taller front sight to bring the groups to center. Virtually every trapdoor 45-70 I have used for shooting required this in order to lower the point of impact...additionally it made the front sight slightly wider. You only have to use material that will fit the front sight block blade cut-out. My current shooter I am listing on the EE and has had a reputation for spanking a Sharps in long range matches.
 
Over the years I have had several of these and used them all in black powder cartridge rifle matches. They were awesome shooters, using a Lyman 457193 mold with wheel weights...also used an Ox-Yoke Wonder Wad behind the bullet. You may need a slightly taller front sight to bring the groups to center. Virtually every trapdoor 45-70 I have used for shooting required this in order to lower the point of impact...additionally it made the front sight slightly wider. You only have to use material that will fit the front sight block blade cut-out. My current shooter I am listing on the EE and has had a reputation for spanking a Sharps in long range matches.

I think I remember reading that with the buffington sight arrangement that at the lowest setting it was a 244 yd zero.
 
Back
Top Bottom